Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, July 9, 2010

Another day

Mostly I've had a pretty boring day, but first off, I got an email from Dee telling me how I can convert and send MP3 ringtones to my phone. Don't ask me how it all works, but it did. I'm so darn proud of myself for figuring it out - I usually give up on anything technology oriented but for some reason I decided to keep at it. And waiting for one of my kids to do it, I could be in a home before they got around to it. Once in a while I can still say, "Damn, I'm good"!

I dropped some books off at the library (could only read the one that was large print anyway), and stopped to get some propane cannisters. I still reside in the good old days sometimes, because I picked up the cannister of Coleman propane and nearly dropped it when I saw the price - $4.99. That's for one can! I know I have never paid that much before, and I don't really need it right now although I went through a couple of cans pretty fast last week - the lantern and campstove seemed to drink it up. Fortunately Donald had brought some.

I've been home nearly a week and am ready to be back in the woods. I've been looking at maps of some of the states I want to drive through in September, and it's making this Gypsy fidgety. Still no word on the sale of my 5th wheel, which makes me wonder if I'm going to be throwing some camping gear into the back of my Ford gypsy wagon for the trip back. It doesn't sound all that bad to me now, though I'm sure it would be a real experience to do a whole cross country trip that way. Heck, I've walked 900 miles and tented most of the time, so I know I can deal with it. I got to the point where I could set up an take down my tent in a very short time, and once you get a routine going it isn't all that difficult.

With that in mind I'm studying various tents I would consider taking on such a trip. I'm limited to a large backpacking tent because they seem to be the only kind that have rainflys that cover the entire tent and openings, and go all the way to the ground all the way around. Those flimsy little things that grace the top of most tents wouldn't make it in a rain blowing sideways. I backpacked with my dog and our packs with a 2 person tent, which worked out great. But now I think I would want more room since Lady is a bit larger than Smoky, my black lab, was. Also I need more headroom now and room to move about a bit more.

So I hope my RV sells soon and I don't have to go this way to New York, but I will if I have to. Gypsy determination!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting your ringtones to work….you ARE “Damm good”! Hopefully your 5th wheel will sell before you go, but your determination is what always amazed me about you. You will have a good time no matter how you get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Eureka Tetragon series have been very very good to me for years. They are also one of the cheapest GOOD tents. Check Campmor for prices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the Eureka Tent. They seem to have exactly what you need, if you study the line. We used them in the Boy Scout troop, and they lasted well with the kids setting them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think tenting has been on my radar screen for about 40 years but I do have fond tenting memories from, 'way back when.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only hope that your 5th-wheel sells real soon so you can cross the country in style! Tenting would be a real no-go for me, I know that!

    ReplyDelete