Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Absolutely Nothing!

I didn't do anything today and have nothing to write about. My energy is somewhere else, as is the part of my mind that could enable me to come up with a decent blog entry.

I slept for a couple of hours - maybe just residual tiredness from camping last week, or maybe because I did a little bit of cleaning - not much cleaning at that. I probably strained my mental powers yesterday putting things together. I bought a Swiffer mop and that went together easier than I expected. I thought for a moment I'd have to get my daughter-in-law, Sarah, to do it for me.

The most taxing project yesterday was figuring out how to get batteries into a new flashlight. I bought a 3-pack of small flashlights at Costco, so it took considerable energy and determination to get through their awful packaging. When I did, I tried to twist the flashlight body, which is the way you usually get it apart to insert the batteries. The only part that turned was about 1/8" from the bottom, but there wasn't room to put 3 AAA batteries in there.

I set it aside and then went back to it. I retrieved my sailor language (and used it). I went back and forth to the flashlight, and it's a good thing I didn't break it, because I eventually unscrewed it at the bottom 1/8" and looked again inside. I tipped it over and a plastic container fell out, which is what holds the batteries! Aha!

Inserted batteries, turned it on, and it works fine. The package indicates that you can adjust the beam by twisting something nearer to the top of the flashlight body. So far I cannot find anything else that moves. I'm glad I was by myself because I'd be embarassed for anyone to see me being such an idiot!

Now I need to do some more camping. This little flashlight will be perfect for those middle-of-the-night forays, rather than the huge flashlight-weapon that I carry. I love my big light but it's overkill in the woods at 2am.

You might wonder what I am going to do with one humongous and 3 little flashlights. I plan to give one of the small ones to Ara, my granddaughter. I can't wait to see how long it takes her to figure out how to insert the batteries, and I'll let y'all know!

Oh, and I almost forgot. Since I was on a technological roll yesterday after figuring out the Chinese made flashlight, I decided to look for ringtones for my new phone since that was one thing Verizon said they couldn't transport along with the contact list. I actually looked at several websites advertising free ringtones, to find out they are free after you pay $9.99. I finally found one and found the Willie Nelson "On the road again", my signature ring tone. I found the theme from the Dukes of Hazard - "Good old boys", for my 3 sons, and Cat Stevens' "Peace Train" for Ara. If I thought she'd never find out I would use "Redneck Woman" for Jeannie, but she'd kill me if she knew, so I have to get something different. (I kind of like that song and it's fun to sing along with.)

I found an interesting ring tone called "Dance with the gypsies", but it is in MP3 format (whatever the heck that is) which I can't use as a ring tone. I'm going to look for it, because then I would make that the default tone for the RVing folks whose phone numbers I have. Then if that tone came up for an incoming call, I'd know one of my fellow gypsies was calling.

8 comments:

  1. Nice blog for having nothing to talk about! The how dumb can I be theme always works well. A story told on yourself generates interest every time! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your ringtone choices!!! I always enjoy a good sense of humor and you certainly have one, Gypsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog for 'absolutely nothing'! Simple things like putting batteries in a flashlight can often even stump the best mechanical minds(I'm not one of those) so don't feel too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No ring tones in my life & somehow that seems quite alright with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can send the ring tones you want from MP3 to the phone and save as ring tone. We do it all the time. You send by using your phone number.vzwpix.com

    It has to be a small file, but when it says it can be used as ringtone it will be sent as one. Have fun. Good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gypsy - it just really makes my day to read your blog. I can relate so well to all of your issues with the stupid flashlight. And ringtones? I don't have a clue as to how to get different ring tones on my phone. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gypsy,

    I am finally getting caught up on all my favorite blogs and wanted you to know you are the first. Loved all the camping pictures. You are so blessed with a beautiful family. Cell phones drive me batty, but in our lifestyle they are a must. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I've been at Red Rock, I haven't had to worry about ring tones. No reception! On my old phone I used a crowing rooster. That got everyone's attention, but was a little embarrassing when I was leading bird tours. :)

    ReplyDelete