Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tuesday afternoon (the 13th)

Steve came by this afternoon and we went to get the propane. I tried to take the cans out of the RV but couldn't even unscrew the hoses. I must be losing strength. I also bought gauges for each tank because I can't stand not knowing how much I have left or running out, as I've done several times since fulltiming. I tried to lift one of the full tanks and could barely get it off the ground. I mentioned earlier that a propane service was going to come to the park to fill my tanks....well I told him I was in space 247, when it is actually 427. Needless to say he couldn't locate me and went to the park office. He told me on the phone that the office had called me but got no answer, although there were no missed calls on my cell phone. I will be very glad to have heat again - don't need it overnight while I'm sleeping, but it was so cold when I got out of bed I never did warm up and had the electric throw wrapped around me for most of the day.

This weekend I need to start looking for a park to move into on Feb 1st. I hate to move mostly because I am so convenient to everything and everyone now, and also know my way around the area from here. Wherever I go next will be a new area to me but I'm sure I'll learn it quickly.

While Steve was here I mentioned dripping water that I've noticed from the outside front right corner of the RV. I thought it might be condensation from overnight, but when he checked several points he came to the conclusion that it definitely wasn't condensation. He traced it back to the shower area, and when we took the picture off the wall at the entry and accessed the shower plumbing, sure enough there was a loose connection and the leak was coming from it. He tightened it up and I will continue to check it for a few days to make sure it doesn't happen again. He also installed a PUR filter at the kitchen sink and tightened up the faucet handles that kept coming loose. The filter was an inexpensive one that you just flip when you want filtered water. That's really all I need - I'm concerned about the water I drink but not so much for showering or washing dishes.

I'll have to admit that sometimes when I read blogs and the guys mention that they've been tightening screws & bolts in the rig, I laugh and think the wife probably handed him a wrench & a screwdriver and told him to go do something useful and stay out of her way. I now realize what a wonderful thing it is to have someone who knows what to look for and where to tighten. It's amazing how many things come loose in transit. The interstates are so bumpy I hate to think of the 6 miles of gravel road I will have to drive to get to my work campsite in June. Who knows, it may be smoother than the interstate! But anyway, hats off to the guys who work so hard to keep their rigs in fine condition.

Finally, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get new rear tires for my truck. The left outside rear keeps losing air, and while three different people checked them out and told me they were ok, I know something is wrong when you have to keep adding air, especially now that I'm in a park and not towing. Steve thinks there is dry rot from sitting in storage for so long, and I'm really worried that the 5th wheel tires will be the same way. The shame of it is that there is great tread on them and I'm sure they have very few miles on them. I will go directly to an RV service when I leave Cal Expo, so I can add that to the list of things I will probably be overcharged for. Now to figure out which one might overcharge me the least.

1 comment:

  1. Gypsy,

    What we do to "Save" on propane is take a little electrical heater. Like this one.

    http://www.jr.com/holmes/pe/HMS_HCH4051UM/?JRSource=chemail.keepyourselfwarm.01142009

    It will keep the chill out. Also, you might think of getting a hot plate. Never know when it could come in handy and it doesn't take much room, you can use your pots and pans that you already have. Hope this helps. On your new job, have you thought about solar panels. Little expensive at the beging but won't use your propane up and still be able to run some of your electrical app. Great job on your blog and way to go girl on your new life style.

    Wayne
    (racebum nuwaowners.org administrator)

    ReplyDelete