Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I'm back on the internet!

If I had only realized how easy it would be..... Just thinking about being at this park for 30 days and having to be at the office between 8 and 5 to access internet, gave me the push I needed to look for an alternative. It was my understanding that buying an aircard also required the purchase of a router and antenna at least. Arlene (Leno) from the chat room told me she bought only the aircard and it works without any other devices or equipment. So yesterday my son-in-law, Donald, drove me to Fry's electronics in Roseville. I had thought I would buy a Verizon, but found that Fry's carries only AT&T and Sprint. After talking to the salesman for a bit, I decided on the AT&T. The Sprint provides faster speeds for online gaming, but I don't do that anyway, and the monthly fee for the AT&T is cheaper.

It took about 15 to 20 minutes for the installation and connection, and I now have internet. I'm happy with the speed which is less than when I had broadband in NC, but just as fast as any wi fi connections I've had since. When I turned on the computer this morning and was connected I wanted to cheer.

The salesman was a young kid about my granddaughter's age. It wasn't easy to explain to him why I had an "828" area code on one cellphone, a "916" code on another cellphone, a 28778 zip code on my driver's license, and a 57042 zip for my billing address. Add that to the fact that I live full time in an RV and won't be in any one location permanently for a long time. He surely noted my birth date on my license and made a few comments on the distance I've driven in an RV, probably wondering how such an aged woman could manage it, and alone at that. I'm finding it to be a reaction that is more common than I would have imagined, and I still think to myself, "do I really do that?"

I've had my 1st cup of coffee and it's time to brave the cold to walk the doggies. Then I need to drain my tanks after somehow attaching the collar I just bought to the end of the sewer hose. I could just wait for one of my sons to help me, but I would like to know I can do it myself.

LATER:
I discovered the sewer drain was too far for the hose to reach, so I ended up going out to buy an additional hose plus all the connectors. I got it working after I finally figured out how those clamps work - a lot easier than it looks - and now I have empty waste and full fresh water tanks. I'm as proud of myself as a kid who rides a 2-wheeler for the first time!

This afternoon I received an email about volunteer jobs at Lassen Volanic National Parks. The jobs run from early June or early July and end in early September. Perfect! Now I hope I hear from Stanislaus River Parks regarding something for March and April, and I will be all set!

2 comments:

  1. You're doing so well an inspiration to all of us. I hope you get the jobs you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, does that sound familiar. My Aircard is an area code in CA, my old cell phone is in TN, my new one is in MD and my D/L is the same as yours. LOL! Then there is my traveling partner, Stu. His tags are all MT, his cell phone is MD, his mailing address is TX and his "home" of record is SD. We do tend to complicate things at times, don't we!

    ReplyDelete