Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Maintenance & expense records

I have been looking for quite some time for a log book or sample pages I can print from the web, for keeping mileage, fuel & CG costs, as well as maintenance records. It seems that everyone has gone to keeping their records on a computer spreadsheet. This is not the best way for me, for while I will write something down when it happens, I don't always have the discipline to fire up the computer, call up my spreadsheet, and then transfer numbers and info to a program, save it, etc. When I think about it, I would be allowing the computer to create more work for me, or at least to turn an easy chore into a lot of extra steps.

I love computers and have been using them since the early 80's. I also was the recognized spreadsheet wizard in my job as a budget analyst with the Corps of Engineers in my former life. But there is a difference in using computers & programs perform complex computations for you, and in typing in a bunch of info that you have to write down in the first place (mileage, for example). So I thank each and every person who has responded to my dilemma, in the RV-Dreams chat room, on the forum, and to this blog. I am taking Speedy's suggestion and have created several different spreadsheets for mileage/fuel/campground, maintenance, and misc purchases & expenses, and printed them out. I can now fill in the blanks in pencil, and if I ever have a block of time that I can't seem to fill, I can always sit down and enter the info into the computer.

I also want to thank all the individuals who have commented to posts on this blog. Your interest makes me feel really good!

I have been researching small radios with a weather alert function, and am zeroing in on one that I really like the description of - will go to Target today and see it for myself. I think I will also look at a small ceramic heater that I can use in the evenings when I'm at the computer, rather than turning the heat on and using propane, at least where I have an electric hookup. To those of you who are considering/planning for the full time RVing lifestyle, I can advise you to add some extra $ in your first year's budget, because you will come upon a zillion things you didn't think about before but that you need for your comfort and safety.

4 comments:

  1. Gypsy...Sherri and I would love to come visit. We will have to see where you are in relation to where we will be.

    Joe and Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the headsup. We're following every move. Good idea on the paper spreadsheet, sounds faster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had a Legazy Blue Flame heater for over a year now. We never use the furnace anymore. Works great & we love it. It's pet friendly because the heat part at the front is protected by a heavy glass & a grill. No doggy tails can can catch on fire. Bought it & had it installed in Quartzite last year. We highly recommend it...... AL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That should read LEGACY & not Legazy:((

    ReplyDelete