Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, March 29, 2021

Where to Start!

I still haven't accomplished much in the way of getting ready to move, although I've filled a box or two.  Not knowing when, where, how much space I will have, makes it impossible to know what I want to take.

 I've been "doing genealogy" for years and had it all organized into 3-ring binders.  In the past week I just decided to trash it all, and tore up every single sheet of paper into quarters, and filled up several large plastic garbage bags.  I was ruthless, although it certainly hurt to see all my work go to such an end.  I consoled myself by thinking of how much joy I derived from all the research and organizing of this material.  No one in my family would be interested, nor would they have a clue about the people and families.  I always wanted to know about my relatives and ancestors, even as a young person.  Now I need to decide what to do with the dozens of 3-ring binders!  I put a notice on the local neighborhood list, but so far nobody has responded.

My daughter and her family left a couple of days ago with my son (Steve) and his family, to spend several days at Bodega Bay.  I think Jeannie & Donald will put their house on the market when they get back, so I expect some action soon.  And when they have a better idea of what they can expect from the sale of their house, they will know what price range they can begin seriously looking at.

To be honest, for the past few weeks I just want to cry.  But I know better than to start, so I'm keeping it all in.  I hope I can soon write a happier post.  That will mean I am in a happier frame of mind! 

6 comments:

  1. Maybe taking a clue from how much Rocky worries might be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doen't show any worry at all, but he knows "something is up"

      Delete
  2. You should have just lived this year as if you weren't going anywhere because it's going to be awhile before Jeannie and Donald find place. Once they are settled in then they would be able to help you find a place near them then help you move.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, they want to find something with an "in-law suite", so that is going to take more time and more looking than if they were just moving themselves. They are also amenable to building an addition for me, but that would certainly depend on zoning restrictions and I think it would be way too expensive.

      Delete
  3. What a shame you tore up those papers. I didn't show any genealogy interest until in my sixties. I'm glad my mom had a good start on our tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered all the way through the process if I was making a huge mistake. The problem is that I have no one to leave them to. One of my brothers mentioned he would take all the records, but his wife would kill me if he brought all that stuff in. It filled over two large boxes, all in binders. As I mentioned, I enjoyed gathering all the info and the contacts I made over the years with other genealogists. Even if one of my 4 children eventually becomes interested in our family history, I am 80 yrs old, so what is going to become of all those records in the meantime. I did the right thing as far as I'm concerned.

      Delete