Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, March 14, 2021

A Time to Move

My daughter and her family are getting ready to sell their house, and are looking in a community in the foothills near where Steve & his family have moved.  I went with them yesterday and Steve gave us a tour around the area, which is actually huge.  It is totally residential except for a small commercial area that we went into.  I've been looking at stats and demographics of the neighborhoods, which correspond to what I saw with my own eyes yesterday.  I can't do anything about it but keep my mouth shut and go along with it.  The houses are actually very beautiful, but I'm a city girl basically, and we drove for miles and what seemed like hours in just residential areas.  I think Steve wanted to show us the extent of all the neighborhoods and did an excellent job of covering them.  He lives in one of the neighborhoods and he and his family seem very happy there.  The population seems also to be fairly young, and very white.  As I mentioned, I am a city girl, and have always preferred to live in an area that is more diverse.   But it's not my decision and I'm going to try very hard to just keep my mouth shut!

On a positive note, the area is higher in elevation than Sacramento and the views are gorgeous.  The air is probably much more clear and clean as well, and I hear you can actually see the stars at night.  About the only thing I can consistently make out in the skies here is Jupiter, so being able to see stars and planets, and maybe even the Milky Way, will be a delight.

I think Jeannie & Donald will try to find something with a mother-in-law suite, whatever that turns out to be.  Property in that area also seems to sell fairly quickly, so I think they will be ready to jump on something that they like and suits their needs.

I have been going through my things and trying to figure out how to pack them.  I will be going from a 2 bedroom house with another huge spare room (where I keep a desk, my treadmill, an extra case of beer now and then, and a bookshelf, to possibly a bedroom & bath.

Learning to grow old gracefully is something I never really intended or wanted to do, and I don't think I can do it now!  But I guess I have no choice except to try.  As I've said before, it's a good thing I've had such a happy and wonderful life over the years, because it isn't always easy at this stage.  At least I have memories that I cherish.

10 comments:

  1. Kind of like being between a rock and a hard place. Maybe they can find something to give you a little more room some of these places have great MIL apt. At least they want you with them. Your kids look out for you and that is a really great thing. Don't jump the gun they may change their minds and not buy at all.
    I know its hard to feel like you have no choice I don't know what I would do if I had to move in with one of my kids. This plays big on my mind the older I get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope I never have to "move in" with anyone. I don't mind the idea of an "in-law apartment". For one thing I would not be the easiest person to live with, and I would hate to do that to my kids and their spouses & children.

      Delete
  2. This was a topic of discussion this weekend with my son and wonderful DIL. I want to stay in my travel trailer as long as possible so I told them I plan to be in a nearby RV Park when the time comes for me to leave the road. Thats as far ahead I am planning on planning for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so fortunate to have the option of having your own home on wheels. And yes, when you have children with spouses who are willing to try to keep you happy with life, you are very fortunate indeed!

      Delete
  3. On HGTV I see how fast homes sell in California some even hours after being listed. You have a great family and wonderful in-laws which is not always the case...you are a very fortunate lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the pandemic has resulted in many folks working from home. Since this has proved to be so successful, many will want to continue this practice, so it doesn't matter as much where they live as long as they have electronic access. I think that is why many people are moving from the much more costly San Francisco Bay area to places such as Sacramento. They will drive up our cost of living, no doubt.

      Delete
  4. Life really does change for us as we age. And not always tge way we want it to. I'm glad your kids are looking out for you. Not sure mine would be so good about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my middle son was showing us through the new house they just purchased, he pointed out a bedroom and bath on the first floor and told me "This is your room".

      Delete
  5. I didn't know you were moving again. It seems like you just moved from your house to be closer to Jeannie. My advice to your daughter not that she asked for it is to be sure that she has a home to move into before she sells her house. Prices went so crazy that my daughter sold her house and then couldn't find another house because prices just kept climbing climbing climbing climbing. There's going to be a crash, at least a housing crash just like in 2008.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been here for two years now and have enjoyed living here. I don't pay much attention to what is going on in the area, and evidently a lot of people want to move in and the prices are starting to skyrocket. More people coming in also means more crime and such. Life changes and living areas change as well. My daughter & her husband bought their house when they got married, and in fact, had an informal reception there. Like all good things, situations change and we have to change with them. I've loved my rental the past two years but am ok with moving on. I just got wind of some changes the landlady wants to make in order to add an extra apartment on the property (the huge back yard that Rocky and I so enjoy), so it just brings to mind that all good things come to an end, or at least a change. I've always tried to "roll with the punches" so I'm ready to move on. I'm so lucky to have kids who are supportive and want me to be ok with everything that is happening. I don't know what I did, probably in a former life, to deserve such wonderful kids! I thank the heavens for them every day!

      Delete