Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, August 31, 2019

Nursing home!

That's what it is like here when it's just Rocky and me!  He's limping around, but if one of the kids would walk in the door he would be leaping high into the air.

Donald took us to a nearby Banfield Pet Hospital yesterday, which isn't as bad as it sounds.  Banfield is a veterinarian service often located in Petsmart; but the one about a mile from me is strictly a vet.  I walked out with 3 prescription medicines but no real diagnosis.  Sometimes he limps, but when we get a visitor he leaps into the air in pure joy and excitement, so I don't know what to do with him.  I much prefer this Banfield location to the one I've always gone to which is co-located with Petsmart.  They also offered to clip his nails, but only clipped a small part off each nail - they will do more when I take him back in 3 weeks.  His nails are totally black so they can't see the blood line, which they try to avoid.  I am so sick and tired of being sliced to the bleeding point with those claws of his, I can't get too worried if he bleeds a drop or two when getting them trimmed.

I've decided I definitely will feel more comfortable while walking by having some assistance.  I ordered a hiking stick online that should be delivered Monday, and I  like the looks of it in the ad.  It definitely doesn't look like a cane.   My daughter told me she saw a man walking down the street with a hiking pole as she was driving to work last week.  Clever devil!

I've been busy studying planting guides and info, as I am anxious to get some seeds into the ground.  I've planted a number of varieties in those little peat pots, which will be easy to transplant when they start to sprout.   It looks like the next 2 weeks will continue in the high 90's, but I'm sure looking forward to when we finally get to the 80's or even 70's.  I'm just a cool weather flower and don't do well in the heat!  This morning I saw two zucchinis that will be ready to pick in a day or two, plus a few more flowers on the plants, and I'm sorry to see the end of these wonderful fruits.  They've been such a staple in my diet for a while.  It's a shame I don't like them after they have been frozen because I can't really handle more plants than I cultivated this year.  I have to eat the produce as it is ready to be picked.

This year I tried to stake my tomato and squash plants, but I am going to see if one of the guys in the family can build me a wooden trellis or two for next year.  

Have a happy and safe Labor Day weekend for those of you who live in the U.S., and have a happy and safe weekend for those of you who live elsewhere!

10 comments:

  1. My son and I have both had great luck with tomato cages for all the climbing viney vegetables. They are the ones that look like a cage but are shaped like a megaphone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently using the cages, but would like to find out more about the climbing method.

      Delete
  2. I watch a neighbor in Sedona coming home from a hike. He uses two poles about 7 Ft, and they look sturdy but light weight. He moves right along on a slightly uphill block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I backpacked 800 miles using two Leki adjustable poles. They were lifesavers, but more expensive than I want to spend now.

      Delete
  3. Could you get some inexpensive plastic conduit cut in half easily with a hack saw. Then a bunch of T's. Separate the T's by 3 ft horizontal piece, and the T's would form legs, alternately spreading out about 2 ft at the base. Place a plant near each vertical leg and coax it to grow up the pole to the top. It may take some string to get it to climb the pole. Don't cement, just twist tight together, disassemble for storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds like something I've heard of. I'll have my son take a look at your suggestion and see if he can come up with it. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Happy to hear you finally ordered yourself a walking add. I was using a cane in my early 60's for pain and stability until I was able to have knee replacement. I didn't like it but safety and pain came first. Of course I no longer need it but I have it stored in the closet.
    Can't wait to here how your new winter garden is going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to getting the hiking stick and seeing if it makes me feel more secure. I'm so excited about planning for the next garden phase - I think our weather will start to cool down (at least to the low 90's) in a couple of weeks and I can get out into the garden for more than 10 or 15 minutes at atime. I should be able to grow crops untll the end of the year, and I'm so enthused about it!

      Delete
  5. Glad you are finding ways of keeping up with Rocky but he could have a Sliver that is tucked between his Pads. The Walking Stick will help with your balance.
    Maybe you will be able to enlarge your garden even starting some in little seeding pods on the Window Sill then planting the rest right in the garden. That should lengthen the season that you will benefit from them on your table.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems the right front elbow joint is where the tenderness is. I had thought it could be something in the pads of his feet, but I'm more concerned about the elbow. He jumps so high when someone comes to the door or inside, also when playing outside with the kids. I worry he came down "wrong", although I don't really know what it could be and neight does the vet!

      Delete