Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, August 5, 2019

I'm baking today!

I finally got around to doing some baking this morning, athough not a really big deal.  I am making zucchini muffins and they are in the oven right now.

It was probably a comical sight:  AIl the dogs I've ever had love to be in the kitchen with me when I am cooking or even when I'm not.  I guess they are ever hopeful of catching a bit of food that drops on the floor.  So Rocky was there with me, and even followed me back and forth as I went from one spot in the kitchen to another.  It's not a large kitchen, so it's a wonder we didn't trip over one another.

As I always have done when I cook and a dog is watching and listening to every word, I explained to Rocky exactly what I was doing:  measuring, mixing, combining, whisking, etc.  He listened intently, and finally the batter was in the muffin pans, and are now in the oven.  Sure, I let him lick out the bowl, which he dutifully  accomplished.  Dogs, like kids, love to help in the kitchen.

I have extra shredded zucchini  which I will probably add to pancake batter for a healthy meal.  To my dismay I still have 6 zucchini left in the fridge!    I'm still not tired of eating them, but I am tired of trying to think of ways to fix them so I don't get tired of them.  I hope the muffins turn out ok although that much flour and sugar is not usually in my diet.

I just sampled two of the muffins and they are  delicious!  I wonder how long it will take me to eat all 12 of them!

We are getting a "break" in the weather for the next few days.  It will only be in the 90's rather than  the triple digits we are expecting by the end of the week!

On a totally different note, I want to ask if I am the only person left who doesn't have "my entire life" on my phone.  There are so many youtube videos out lately on simplifying your life, and most involve putting everything on your phone (or computer) and manage your entire existence electronically.  I want to shout out "What if the grid goes down???"   Besides, I love to write, and writing lists is one of my enjoyable things to do.  I write, read, edit, and ponder over what I might be forgetting, and I guess I could do it online or on my phone, but I find joy in writing things down.  Often however, I will be out shopping and realize I must have left my list at home!

I've rambled on long enough, so I will wish you all a good week ahead.

9 comments:

  1. Can't go very far with the short cable on my phone. Typing things with a rotary dial is tricky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure wouldn't mind going back to a rotary phone! But I don't understand how you can use one in your traveling lifestyle.

      Delete
  2. Muffins freeze well and are still good when thawed, just a thought while it isn't too hot to bake, maybe use the rest of the zucchini for more of those. I write lists,too, don't keep my calendar notes on my phone or laptop, just feels more secure to use tried and true safe methods instead of internet/electronic gadgets that rely on being charged or connected.luv how you carry on conversations with Rocky- Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reminding me that I can freeze them. I'll probably make another batch tomorrow and freeze them as well.

      Back in 1997 when I was backpacking with my dog Smoky, I must have been talking to him when another hiker came up in back of me and said, "You use too many word when you talk to your dog, Gypsy". Smoky listened to every word and it was good being able to talk to someone, even if it was a dog. Now, I find that living alone I could go for days without using my voice if I didn't have Rocky to listen to me.

      Delete
  3. Our dog watches everything in the kitchen as well:)) Hope springs eternal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't it the truth! They seem to have so much patience and hope that it will be rewarded.

      Delete
  4. Coincidence. Today at Walmart a lady stopped right in front of me in the middle of the aisle. She said, "Sorry. Was looking for my list." I said, "mine is usually at home!" Or, often I lose the list long before I am done shopping. I have a cookbook of 100 recipes for zucchini. The recipe we use most is the simplest. Even granddaughter loves it cooked with butter and garlic. And I have made many muffins. We always have several dozen in the freezer. As good as having a bakery on the corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to summon up the energy to get creative and do something with them.

      Delete
  5. It is good to hear that you are able to make so many dishes even muffins with your garden vegetables. I do not have a dog but I often talk to the cats when I am outside but unlike dogs they do not much care what I have to say :D

    Call me old-fashioned but I rather write things down on my spiral notebooks. I seldom if ever put anything personal on my phone or computer as I am technologically challenged. Much prefer grocery lists though I usually end up leaving them at home.

    ReplyDelete