Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, August 8, 2019

Miscellaneous items

In comments to my last post, Ms. Belinda mentioned photos of my zucchini pancakes.  I made some for lunch today, and took two pictures.  It does't look like much, but they sure are good.  I still have  fridge drawer full of zucchini - all smaller ones but still a lot for me to eat. 

Here are two cakes starting to cook, and the finished product.



Nothing fancy, just plain old home cooking.

It was a beautiful morning, and I wore a flannel shirt when I took Rocky for his first walk at 7am.  I didn't turn on the a/c until after 1pm.

I have a big gash on my leg, and this time Rocky didn't have anything to do with it.  It's the killer bed frame in my spare bedroom.  When my ex husband died the kids didn't want to get rid of his bedroom set.  It was from the 1950's and his Mom bought it when he was a boy.  It looks every bit like 50's furniture, although it has darkened  over the years and is not the same blond wood that was so popular back then.  No one really wanted to use it, so it was stored for years in Jeannie's garage.  When I moved and had a spare bedroom with room to set it up, I decided I might as well use it rather than go out and buy new furniture.

The big problem is that the footboard  of the bed sticks out a bit from the frame, and if you happen to walk by it too closely, it attacks your leg!  I have done that so many times, and did it again today, thus the  big gash on my leg.

Those of you who remember the 1950's will recall this style.  It is blond wood, although darkened with age, and the headboard has sliding doors on both sides with storage compartments on either side.

 





And this is the "killer" footboard!



I thought about trying to refinish this furniture as it is a really good set - they don't make stuff like this anymore, unless you are willing to pay an arm and a leg for it.  But I don't want to start something I won't finish, and I'm sure I wouldn't get very far.


My thanks to Donald for showing me what I was doing wrong in trying to send photos from my phone to my computer.  Now that I can do it correctly, I'm  determined to find reasons to use the knowledge.  Thus a blog with photos of zucchini pancakes and an old bedroom set!

Maybe I'll have something more interesting to write about tomorrow or the next day!

13 comments:

  1. I have two places in the Castle where I screwed a piece of pool noodle to a projecting item to stop the blood letting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an idea that might work. I think I'll buy a pool noodle next time I see them, and try to make it into a bumper guard. Thanks for telling me about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dollar Tree - loads in stock my last visit. I actually used one to insulate water spigot outside during winter freeze. Cuts,bumps and bruises are my daily game. This vertigo I have is dangerous to ignore - it makes one whirl and land hard!

      Delete
    2. My mom had vertigo at one time, and it was terrible! I hope yours goes away in time. I will try to find a Dollar Tree nearby because some stores already have their winter merchandise out and don't have the noodles left.

      Delete
  3. The zicchini pancakes look really good.
    I was also going to recommend pool noogles. Pretty quilt on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I'd forgotten I even had that quilt until I moved. I don't know why I didn't think of a pool noodle. The pancakes are really a great way to use the zucchini, and they taste so good. I think I'm going to do a vegetable stir fry tomorrow and slice up several of the zukes. I can't never get even, and more are growing when I looked this evening.

      Delete
  4. I hear you about being attacked by furniture in the way. It is amazing how something can have been in the same place for years , and, all of a sudden, I run into it! You are so right about quality furniture. We bought cherry and hard rock maple back in the 70's. No way can you find such well built furniture nowadays for any price. I bought a chest of drawers about five years ago for a guest room. When I got it home, i discovered that the drawers did not extend to the back of the piece. A sneaky rip off. Bought new at a reputable furniture store. I am glad you kept the good stuff. And envy that quilt!!!
    The zucchini pancakes look delicious. Great to look forward to more photos from you! Donald is a good man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the quality of the furniture then and now. I debated with myself for about two minutes and decided to use that furniture rather than buy new. It makes a fine spare bedroom; when I had it set up, my son Steve showed up with an end table and a small cabinet which was his Dad's furniture (handed down from his Mom). Steve had been keeping them in his garage all these years. My kids don't want to part with their Dad's stuff, but they don't want to use it either. I'm frugal enough to not mind the old scratched furniture.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for taking the time to cook more pancakes so I would be able to see them. They look delicious.

    You are so lucky to have Donald and your children to help you with computer issues. Today something went wrong and I am no longer able to transfer pics from my phone to the computer.

    I also use a pool noodle on the base of my bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Donald can solve any problem I have with tehnology, and he is worth his weight in gold! I couldn't transfer pictures either but I was making a very simple mistake which he zero'd in on immeedeiately!

      Delete
  6. If you can't locate a pool noodle, I believe you can get a similar type thing at Home Depot that is used for insulating pipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm going to look for the pool noodle today at Costco. They have a good "summer fun" dept., but I'll remember HomeDepot if they don't.

      Delete
  7. Walmart still ha pool noodles as of yesterday

    ReplyDelete