Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Best Meal of the day!

I had about a cup of shredded zucchini left over from when I made the muffins, so this morning I added it to pancake mix.  The brand of mix I use is Birch Benders Organic Pancake & Waffle mix, and all you do is add water.  I rarely  measure anything - just spoon some mix into a bowl and add water a little at a time until it reaches the consistency I'm looking for.   (Directions are printed on the package if you prefer.)    I made four pancakes - not the nice flat kind that you see in photos, stacked with syrup dripping down the sides.  I love those too, but this morning i had four nice pancakes loaded with zucchini.  I sprinkled just a tiny bit of salt on them and they were perfect - a nice sweet flavor with a touch of salt.  Breakfast has long been my favrite meal of the day, and this one was just perfect!

I've just finished watching several youtube videos featuring ways to use zucchini; my favorites are the ones with the Italian Grandma!  Listening to her talk makes me happy, makes me smile, and brings back memories of older Italian women I knew back in Cincinnati.

I don't know what I would have done if the timing had permitted me to plant a full garden this year.  As it was, the move to this house sort of cut into my springtime and I got a late start with gardening.   Of course, there are many vegetables that I will be able to grow and freeze, so  unlike the zucchini I won't have to eat it while it's available. 

Rocky and I have had a lazy day.  I haven't even  been outside since our early morning walk.  Today was supposed to be a few degrees cooler, so I should try to get out to check on my gsrden.  I need to pull some weeds if I can time it so that I'm in the shade while doing it.

A lazy day has produced a lazy woman who has produced a lazy blog!  Until next trime - 




8 comments:

  1. Zucchini can be frozen. Just shred it and put in a bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe shredding it before freezing would be ok, but I wouldn't want to freeze slices as I don't think they would be crisp when thawed. Next time I shred some, I will freeze a container of them and see how they keep. Thanks so much for the tip - I'd love to be able to eat my home-grown zucchini after the season is past.

      Delete
  2. Now those pancakes sound good and different. I was going to make some zucchini boats today but between riding my bike and then making a cauliflower taco I was exhausted. I often wondered about if zucchini could be frozen. I know you can buy it frozen, so know I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer vegetables on the crisp side, and zucchini doesn't stay crisp for very long if you are cooking it. The pancakes were delicious and I'm thinking about shredding a few zukes tomorrow morning and making pancakes again. I've watched a number of youtube videos today trying to get some idea of different ways to use them.

      Delete
  3. I have a container of shredded zucchini in my freezer. I didnt think I would cook it to eat, but could use it in a muffin recipe,——-or maybe in pancakes? Seems like that would be all right if I get any water out when it is thawed? Worth a try. Have thrown out too many zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry about having to throw out anything, so I would freeze it before doing that. I read last night that frozen shredded zucchini is kind of mushy when it thaws out, but it seems like it would be fine in muffins, bread, or pancakes because you don't get the "crunchy" in any of those.

      Delete
  4. I would have loved to have seen a picture of your pancakes. I am glad you are making use of each and everyone of your zucchinis.

    Enjoy your lazy day with Rocky you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, when I take a photo with the camera on my phone, I can't transfer it to my computer The next time I see Donald I will ask him to fix it for me, and I may upload a whole bunc.h of unrelated photos to the blog

      Delete