Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, October 9, 2017

Hazy skies; ants

Skies are pretty hazy in the west, but the setting sun is really making it impossible to tell much about it.   The sunsets have been beautiful the past few days, and I wonder what it will be like this evening.

I have been noticing ants in my kitchen, just running up the side of a cabinet in one area and so far they aren't taking over my entire kitchen.  I sprayed some bug spray on a paper towel and ran it over the corners where they are traveling - hope that stops them.  I think tomorrow I am going to do a deep cleaning on my kitchen.

After breakfast this morning I had intended to make a quick trip to Costco and go to the gym.  I thought about it for a while and decided I didn't need to do either one, so I went back to bed!   Last week it seemed I had more energy in the mornings, but it certainly has dissolved!  I honestly don't know if it's what I'm eating (or not eating), or what makes me feel like that.   

Being a sucker for some sales pitches, and ever hopeful of finding the "miraculous solution", I recently ordered a month's supply of powder you mix with water - it's called "Vital Reds".  It is supposed to be chock full of energizing vitamins and minerals, and certainly wasn't cheap.  The damn stuff is a total waste of money and I'm expecting to get emails any day now urging me to get a refill.  If you ever get urged to buy Dr. Gundry's magical cure, please ignore it.  It's only magic for Dr. Gundry's bank account! 

Joe stopped by before picking his girls up from school this afternoon.  We ended up going out to my shed where we filled a huge garbage can full of items that I believe were left on shelves when I moved in.  I've always wanted to get rid of most of the stuff in that shed.   When he was cleaning it out he found the hitch from when I had my truck - since he recently bought a new truck he asked me if I was going to use the hitch and I told him it was his.  I am glad to see it being of use again.

I think the sun has gone down enough now that I can go outside and look at the western skies.   We usually have a brilliant sunset,  but nothing like that this evening.  I started to watch a youtube video on the fires burning in Santa Rosa but couldn't even bear to watch it for a half a minute!  It's awful.

 See you tomorrow. 

6 comments:

  1. This is the second year we have been invaded by ants inside the house. Since my mother has severe allergies I opted to use boric acid with sugar which is used to combat roaches more than ants but it did the trick.

    Saw some footage on the evening news of the California fires and it sadden me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it helps, but I don't spray a large area - only spray a bit of bug killer on a paper towel and then wipe the affected area. So far I've only noticed little tiny ants a few times. I think they are looking for water,

      As I said, I could only watch about 20 seconds of footage of the fires and had to stop. It is really sad and that is a beautiful part of CA with all the vineyards and orchards. Food prices are going to skyrocket soon.

      Delete
  2. To get rid of ants I ground some popcorn kernels in my food processor and placed that where I saw ants. Amazingly they disappeared After awhile. I read about that on Facebook and thought it worth a try. It worked for me.
    Glad to see you are safe from the fires. Terrible happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. So far I haven't had much of a problem - a few ants in the bathroom about 2 weeks ago, and yesterday in the kitchen. I don't see any this morning - fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. We are basically organic, no chemical people. We tried everything we could think of to deal with our ant invasion. I read ants won't pass over talcum powder. I bought the "medicated" kind but it didn't get rid of them. We tried borax and sugar as well and diatomaceous earth.

    Finally, in desperation we bought some Terro Ant Bait traps and they worked. They took it back to the colony and killed it. We kept them out for a while. They seemed safe enough because the bait stays in the bait traps. They have them at Walmart, Target and hardware stores if you decide to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to stay away from chemicals also, but sometimes I just don't have the patience (or the ideas) to handle it.

      Delete