Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Fires everywhere!

I guess the fires are still burning in the Napa area but already so much has been leveled.  My middle son, who is an executive in the wholesale grocery business, had several stores in that area burn to the ground, as well as many employees burned out and displaced.  He went to Napa today, and here is a brief msg he wrote to me:

"Well, there were a fair amount of people out and about.  Although I stayed clear of much of the area.  Several of our stores are without power, so even the areas that are not ablaze are still powerless.
There were wineries, houses, and cars that were just decimated.  It looks like a war zone.  The main fire that spread into Santa Rosa traveled 16 miles in about 5 hours.  This is extremely fast and didn't give much notice to anyone.  Several stores are closed and we can't make contact with them.  But several stores are up and running. "


I read in this morning's paper that an area about 40 miles northeast of where I live had about 25 acres burned (as of the time the article was written).  I haven't heard anything else about it so I guess the fire was put out.   We had a very wet winter so the grass & foliage grew very well, and then when the summer's extreme dryness hits it dries out to become tinder.  Sacramento has always had this cycle of wet and dry seasons, and when I lived here in the 1980's I don't remember there being such a terrific problem with fires in this area.   The southern part of the state has always been prone to terrible fires in the fall/winter because of the fierce Santa Ana winds. 

Nothing was visible in the night sky except for the moon, so I think the haze from fires is making the difference.   I hope we get some rain this winter - for one thing the dust and grime on my driveway is horrendous.  I have no doubt it's from the dry conditions as well as from the chemical spraying that has been so prevalent.  I don't understand how pilots and the personnel dropping the chemicals can go home to their families at night.   I think I'd want to find a different line of work!

I made a trip to the dollar store today - I love that store!  I spent $17 so I had 17 items to put away when I got home.

I took a nap today and hope I can still fall asleep before too late tonight.  I don't like to nap but sometimes my comfortable bed just calls my name - "Here, just lie down for a few minutes and rest your bones!"  I answer "Okay, but just for a few minutes."

2 comments:

  1. I have seen a few wild fires and they are really scary. One, I know, was started by sparks from a coal fired railroad engine. They caused a lot of fires back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is almost unbelievable how a major fire can result from a spark; so many of them do though.

      Delete