Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, October 29, 2017

A new reason to dislike Amazon

I don't care how convenient it is to sit at your computer and click on an item at Amazon.  I can do the same thing with Costco, but I like Costco a lot more.  Note that most items can be bought at the local Costco warehouse although some items are available online only.  They are almost always delivered within two days of placing the order.  I still prefer to shop at the local store as I hate to return things, and buying without seeing up close, holding a piece of clothing up to oneself to check the fit, etc., means that I often have to return them.

I just tried to access the weather.com site; I tried it several times and kept getting the Amazon.com page.  There is no reason why they should take over my computer like that.   I have disliked this company for a long time, for one thing, they should have stuck with books and related items instead of expanding into food (and now weather?).   Seriously, I think they operate to the detriment of local business which pay local people, pay local taxes, and very often can be accessed online just as easily as Amazon, if that's your preferred method of shopping.   And now they want the key to your house for delivering packages in case you aren't home?   I can't believe anyone would actually do that.

Last night I stayed up a bit later and slept in a little later this morning, all because I thought the time was changing this weekend.  The joke was on me, and now I've been confused all day long!

I was all set to start painting my bathroom but hit a brick wall it seems.  My energy levels took a dive, so I will wait a week or so until I feel more like getting started with the paint job.

A new week and a new month is coming up very soon.  The big "77" is looming!   Have a good week ahead.

7 comments:

  1. Amazon did not take over your computer. That was the local internet service provider's system misbehaving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be (and makes sense) but the only one who would benefit would be Amazon.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad Arizona doesn't change times but I have to remember we are now Mountain time not Pacific. But not til next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of folks are unhappy with the change twice a year. I read this morning that several (I think 3) of the northeastern states are considering going on Atlantic time, and when you look at the map you can see that Massachussetts north is way out to the east. If they switch, Atlantic time doesn't do daylight savings. It would give the U.S. mainland 4 time zones instead of 3.

      Delete
  3. Before you are too hard on Amazon, there is an article in our Sunday paper from the New York Times, Where internet orders mean real jobs, new life. Amazon is building huge warehouses where there are good transportation options and few jobs. Example: Bethlehem PA/Lehigh Valley. They are creating thousands of jobs. Bethlehem was a big steel town and those jobs are long gone. There are warehouses in OH and KY. Walmart has a fulfillment center in the same area of PA. There is always the concern of robots taking over some of the jobs in the future (Walmart has some), but for now they need humans. Just some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you are saying, and a job is a job--a person being employed is a person being employed (although I doubt Amazon provides jobs for any altruistic reasons. As soon as they can utilize robots they won't hesitate to let the humans go. My feeling is that if I'm going to spend my money I want to help my local economy.

      Delete
  4. We have them here in the Houston area but I have never been to any of them. The only stores we go to are Wal-Mart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and the local hardware store when needed.

    ReplyDelete