Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Relief

Hopefully we are looking a a week of temperatures in the 80's, and I feel better already!  The extreme heat was really getting to me.

We had a great time and Joe & Sarah's pool party yesterday, and the day ended with fireworks in the street.   A cupcake contest resulted in tons of cupcakes made by most of the families who came, and the two oldest kids (Alyssa and Autumn) were the judges.  I could only sample one.

I was so tired after dinner so when I saw Arianna asleep in her daddy's lap I offered to lie down with her in the downstairs bedroom.  I don't think I went to sleep, but it was nice to be able to rest my eyes!   When Donald came in to wake her up before the fireworks show I was amazed that a lot of folks were wrapped in blankets.  Sitting outside watching the show I sure appreciated the warm blanket Sarah gave me.  The saving feature of Sacramento is that no matter how hot it gets during the day, most evenings get chilly when the breeze blows in from the ocean in San Francisco, and up the delta.   Not always, but most of the time.  

I've listened to only two CD's in the audio book I got from the library, but don't think I'll stay with it for the 10 more CD's in the set.  I am a very fast reader, and while I really enjoyed the stories up through the first two, I just can't imagine sitting through the rest of them - too slow.   I have another audio book waiting for me at the library, plus a book  I ordered.  I'll check them out, but in the future I need to visit the large print section and stick with those books.   The audio book waiting for me is fiction and is entitled "Maine".  I think I ordered it because it sounded cool to me - cool in the sense of temperature!   

I haven't felt like doing anything so far today, but it will soon be Noon and I should probably make a trip to Costco.  Last visit I bought 3 items and I want to return 2 of them!   

Years ago when I lived in Ireland and traveled to California for Christmas, my ex husband gave me a telescope.  I took it back to Ireland and set it up.  I lived by the sea and there was little or no light pollution, so I could see the Milky Way on every clear night.  You can imagine what it would be like with a telescope.  The only problem is that the weather was always extremely windy and chilly, so I would dash out the front door and look through the scope for a minute or two, and then dash back inside to warm up by the fire.  

So when I moved back to the U.S. I lived in the mountains of NC and couldn't see much of the sky through the trees.  I gave the telescope to my son Steve, and last night he returned it to me, all boxed up.  I don't know if I can read the instructions for setting it up, but I think I will try.  It is very difficult for me to see anything in the sky, and binoculars aren't much help.  I think the telescope on the tripod will be great if only I can assemble it.   Sounds like I may be asking Donald for help!

Update on Ed's dog:  Evidently he still has the pooch as I can hear it barking night and day.  I am halfway tempted to offer to walk the dog around the Park and wear him out a bit, but Ed  is a big talker and once you start it is almost impossible to break away.  Plus I don't think I would enjoy walking a little yapper!

8 comments:

  1. I've been out of the loop for the last week, but I like your new header picture. My new rig was finally delivered at 6 pm on Friday. To say I've been busy is an understatement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise I will get a new header picture while in Alaska. Hang on until then! I have so much trouble even posting pictures the last few months, I can't imagine the grief I'll have trying to change the header.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear the party went well. You are so fortunate to be able to get relief at nightfrom the heat. Having to use a blanket during the summer months sounds like a godsend.

    I am so sorry that Ed still has that yapping dog. I know what you are going through...have had to put up with barking neighbor's dogs more times than I care to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having to wrap in a blanket on a summer night outdoors is weird but wonderful. I didn't even think to take a jacket!

      Delete
  3. I'm thinking the yapping may stop if you can walk this little Yip-Yipper. It works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish he would find someone to adopt the dog, but the yapping will still continue from across the street. I watch and see one or more people sitting in the shade while their dogs bark constantly, and they never even make a move to try to quiet them.

      I will watch for Ed to be outdoors and might suggest to him that I'll walk the dog. I don't know who takes it out because I've never seen it.

      Delete
  4. THank goodness for your cool evenings. Glad to hear the temperatures will at least be out of the 90's. Having to return two of the three things I bought is the reason I quit shopping. I pretty much go nowhere but the grocery to shop any more. I just don't need a thing. Your time in Ireland sounds so wonderful. Hope you get the telescope set up and that the skies are dark enough to see things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Ireland but was glad to come back when I did. I only shop at Costco most of the time. When I still thought I might get into the pool I was going to wear a pair of shorts and a sports bra, and I bought a pkg of 2 sports bras which didn't fit. So they are going back. I like those little Tic Tac mints and thought that's what I was getting except in a different brand - turns out I bought a pkg of about 500 (just guessing) sticks of chewing gum. I haven't chewed gum since I was a kid, so I'm taking those back as well. You can see I wasn't really on a shopping spree, but sometimes I just put something in my cart I can't use and Costco is good about returns.

      Delete