Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Fun at Straw Hat Pizza

We had a great evening; the kids spent much of the time at the various machines playing games and trying to win stuff.  Everything was very leisurely, the food was delicious, the beer was great, and of course, the companionship made it a super fun time.  My sister and her husband came down from Nevada and had hoped to stay several days, but Paul started experiencing pain from recent dental work so they left fairly early this morning (they were staying at my house).

I am leaving in a few minutes for my visit with the eye surgeon.  I'm not too hopeful about the future of the macular degeneration, although I always keep an open mind that something might help or at least stop the progression.  I'll finish the blog when I get back from the visit.

I have recently been watching youtube videos of RVers, new & used RV's, refurbishment, etc.  The thing that surprises me the most is that everyone who does the videos seems to be young people - in their 20's and 30's, opting for the vagabond lifestyle.  I don't know what the proportion really is, and maybe the older RVers just aren't as likely to want to be constantly filming themselves.  We are no doubt more likely to write blogs.  I just thought it was an interesting find that so many younger folks are able to do what most of have to retire in order to live the lifestyle.  More power to them, although it could eventually change the whole RVpark and campground scene.

I'm back from the visit with my eye surgeon.  I told him I had two things to discuss:

1.  At the beginning of my macular degenerative process he told me I would not go blind although my vision would be impaired.  I asked if this still held.  He said it did - and explained I would have a "hole" in my vision but that I wouldn't need a seeing eye dog, or to walk with a cane, etc.  I'm satisfied with that answer and will deal with what I am handed.  It's aggravating to me, but many people have much more serious things to deal with and I consider myself fortunate.

2.  I asked if I would be considered too old for stem cell implants.  The answer to that one is that this procedure is still new and that they don't know much about long-term benefits.  I knew the procedure is in its infancy, and I may ask about it again down the road.

I go back to see him in 6 months.

It's starting to get hot, on the way up to 90.   It sounds like we will be seeing the glaciers in Alaska, and I will think about that and feel a bit cooler!

 

10 comments:

  1. I can appreciate all of the family time you have with your loved ones. I just finished up a post on health. I wish you well on your health needs..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. I cherish the family time because there won't be many more opportunities for me to be with all 4 of my kids at the same time.

      I took a quick look at your blog and intend to go back and read it again in depth. I agree with all you say in it.

      Delete
  2. These young RVers are lucky to have jobs that can be done anywhere. Some are computer analyst, designers for web pages, accountaint and so much more. Big companies now prefer to have there people work off site so they don't have to pay the high cost of buildings and all the bills that go with it. Sure wish they had that when I worked.

    Sounds like a good time was had at Straw Hat and your Dr apt seems to have gone fairly well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another thing I realized is that younger people are more likely to "vlog", which I assume stands for video blog. I think it takes way more time than writing and publishing a blog in print. Vlog'ers talk about the amount of time they spend filming, editing, adding music, etc. I just wouldn't have the patience to do it, but those who have grown up with this, and who also like to see themselves on the screen plus those viewers who feel more connected seeing and hearing the blogger speak, it is no doubt worth the effort. As far as being self sufficient living and traveling, I think many of them make money from the YouTube videos - possibly the number of subscribers makes a difference, as well as "likes" etc.

      After watching quite a few vlogs in the past couple of days, I can honestly say they've been interesting but I prefer to read the blogs. The music many of the younger folks play to accompany their vlog is sometimes really terrible in my estimation.

      Delete
  3. I'm inclined to agree with you about Vloggers. My cameras also have video capabilities but the video side of things has never really interested me and I guess that's why I'm not a big You Tube watcher. I think many of us were lucky to get in on the ground floor of this Blogging phenomena when we did. With technology moving so fast and the flood of younger folks driving it forward many of we older Dinosaurs are finding it harder and harder to keep up and will soon be extinct. We'll be going the way of the Dodo bird. In the meantime I will keep on writing, taking photos and doing things basically the same way I've been doing them for the past 10 years. Yes it's true I do feel a Dodo moment coming on as I slowly trudge my way along the increasingly worn path to Dodoland. And you know what, I'm Okay with that:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that as more people vlog, our blogger program and capabilities will continue to experience problems and anomalies, and Google is more interested in the vlog rather tha the blog. I'm finding the same thing with my computer - nearly everyone uses smart phones so web pages are being revised to make that experience easier. The Dodo's are just about a thing of the past and I'm fine with doing it my way for the time I have left.

      Delete
  4. I wonder what those younger people will have when they reach retirement age? I would have loved to go full time in my 30's but don't see how their work on the road, if they have it, can provide anything for later. But then what do I know. I didn't know you had macular degeneration. Wonder how I missed that. My dad has it and at age 95 he is nearly legally blind although he can get around with a walker in places with which he's familiar. I got the good news last spring that I have the beginning of it. Is yours wet? Or dry? Boy I'd be so excited to be going to Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure if my M.D. is wet or dry. One is :worse" than the other and I don't have that kind, whatever it is. I will never live to be 95 and I am counting on being able to see enough while I'm still alive. What worries me is my lack of balance lately. I'm terrified of falling.

    I think the younger RVers either quit a job at which they were able to save some money, or they try t work on the road. There is e-commerce, which I know nothing about but I'm sure everyone under 50 does! The fuel seems to me to be the biggest expense - you can go around the country according to the season and do work camping. I always volunteered at National Parks but many private campgrounds give you the space plus pay a salary. But from the youtube videos I've watched, these RVers don't do anything like that. Boondocking is another way to make it although I wouldn't live in the desert to do it. It's sort of nice to see younger people trading in a life of continuous consumption to live a simpler and less consumer-oriented lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew you all would have a great time at Straw Hat Pizza. Think of the memories your grandchildren will have of you. They are so lucky!

    I have not seen any Vlog's on YouTube since my internet speed is so slow...but on HGTV on Monday nights...they have shows on Tiny House living. I would say about 80 percent are young people, some even with babies and young children who have chosen this lifestyle.

    There are a couple of retired individuals and people in the 40 to 50 year range but not many. I have often wondered how they can afford this lifestyle because tiny homes are not cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HGTV is a TV show to sell advertising, mostly. I have subscribed to a newsletter for several years now about tiny house living. Some of the houses are constructed by builders, but many are built by the people who will live in them, including young, old, male and female. It's amazing what can be done. You can tell from the comments who is older - they always comment if there is a ladder to the loft. Most of us oldies prefer stairs, or no long at all. My 27 yr old granddaughter wants to build one using all recycled materials. My son Steve says he will help her, and he does have a lot of construction smarts.

      Delete