Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, July 4, 2016

July 4th

I have done absolutely nothing today, and that's how I intend to finish out the day.   I heard a lot of fireworks going off last night but didn't even go outside to try to see where they were coming from - probably the former Mather AFB.  They used to have air shows from the base in the past, even after it was closed, but I haven't seen or heard anything this year.  The city always runs  the fireworks display from there because of the large empty spaces.  If I hear anything this evening I might go out to try to get a view of the display.

I got a terrific shock today at something I saw on Youtube.  I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it almost makes me sick to think of it.  The video was an interview, with a still photo of the person being interviewed on the right side of the screen, and the guy doing the interview from his studio on the left side.  

Now and then (actually pretty often) he would hold a cylindrical device up to his chest, with the top of it being at his mouth and he looked like he was drinking from a straw.  It just looked weird, and then I realized, he was "vaping"!  At one point the camera was still on him when he exhaled a huge amount of vapor, just like a smoker does.  I don't know why  it bothered me, but since I quit smoking I hate to see anyone taking a drag or exhaling smoke.  Especially when they get a dreamy, far-off look in their eyes as if they were really enjoying it.  I don't mean to offend those of you who smoke (or vape) but it just struck me in a bad way and I didn't want to see it.  I eventually covered up his side of the screen with another small screen!

It got warmer than predicted today, but still remained in the 80's.  I have several cleaning jobs to do inside and out, and I'd better get to them while the weather is still in the 80's.  I wish I could figure out where to begin!

Hope you all had an enjoyable day.

 

8 comments:

  1. Your day sounds like mine. I had no intention of leaving my house. I don't like crowds anymore and after the bad experience on the road yesterday I stayed put. It was 103 today anyway.

    I feel the same way you do about the smoking or the (vape) what every that is. I never wanted to be one of those people who hated the smell of smokers but I sure did get that way after I quit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think vaping is basically inhaling steam. I don't know anything about it except hearing commercials for vaping supplies - they must add some sort of "juice" to the device to give it flavor or whatever. He seemed to hold it in his lungs a long time, which can't be much better for you than inhaling a cigarette. I am only guessing at this, from what I've seen and heard, and I think it's pretty ugly!

      Delete
  2. I never vaped, but used to smoke and dip snuff. Smoking was easy to quite but I had a hard time getting off the snuff. I used to swallow it, which made quitting even harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a heavy smoky, hopelessly hooked in my teens. I quit for 20 years after 25 yrs of smoking, but went back to it when I moved to Ireland. I was told I had a blocked artery and quit in 2004, and won't ever touch it again. I don't know what they put in the vaping mixture, but it doesn't sound good at all. You're lucky to have quit the smokes and snuff.

      Delete
  3. I have those days when I do absolutely nothing and then I feel guilty about it and wonder what in the world?? This society really does make us all feel that we must be PRODUCTIVE pretty much all the time or we are slackers. I don't think other societies have this attitude. Holding it in his lungs sounds like marijuana smokers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I no longer worry about being a slacker! I've watched some people inhale regular cigarettes and they seem to hold it in their lungs a long time. I really don't know much about vaping except what I hear in commercials. I'm sure the act of doing it can be addictive although maybe a little safer. It disturbs me hearing about it and watching it affected me negatively in a way I can't quite put my finger on.

      Delete
  4. The 4th of July and New Year's are days that I avoid going out at all cost. It was awfully hot so it was the perfect day to do laundry.

    Thanks for the explanation on vaping, I had never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stay home most of the time any more.

      I am only explaining the vaping as I think it is - I could be wrong about some of it. I think a lot of young people turned to vaping because they think it's not harmful or addictive like tobacco is. Now the "authorities" are saying it can be just as bad as tobacco, but who believes the "authorities" on anything these days!

      Delete