Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Checking out camping gear

I've gotten rid of a lot of my camping and backpacking gear, some of it given to other family members but I doubt I'll ever do much except maybe set up my big tent one of these days.  The "boys", Steve, Joe, and Donald are taking their kids backpacking and are gathering gear for the trip.  Joe's daughter Keira is on the fence - she first told Joe that she didn't want to go, and when asked for an explanation she said "I don't want to get my clothes dirty".  Now she is wavering - wants to be in with the crowd and not miss anything, but not really wanting to go out in the woods and hike.

Joe decided he is going to string up a tarp which is about as light as he can go, so I gave him a lightweight tarp, plus the tent fly to my Big Agnes cabin tent.  It would be perfect because it is lightweight and large enough.  If it was up to Joe he would go "cowboy camping", which is sleeping on the ground with no tent or tarp.  I've done that a few times and honestly would rather be inside a tent.  I think Alyssa will demand to sleep inside something and not out where the bears, snakes, coyotes, lions & tigers can get her.  I know Steve wants to take his dog, but not sure if he wants to carry Sammy's food, water, etc.  I no longer have Smoky's dog pack as I gave it away years ago.

The weather has been a lot better today, and I went to the gym early thinking i would come back and do some heavy cleaning at home.  I was delaying it when fortunately Joe and the girls came, and stayed long enough that it didn't make sense to start cleaning when they left!

Joe has to work the night we are planning to go to Straw Hat Pizza, but Jeannie is pushing him to see if he can come up with an alternative date.  I think as the days go further into the week it is more likely to be crowded, which is why I picked a Tuesday.  I'm easy and will try to change the date if someone can come up with a date acceptable by all.

I think I mentioned ordering some supplements for my eye condition.  I'm starting a 3 month supply which should give me some idea if they will work or not.  If my close up/reading vision gets much worse I am going to quit blogging.  It's just too difficult to read the different print sizes, colors, etc., and I've already had to cut down on the number of blogs I read on a regular basis.  I do my best but it's becoming a losing bsttle.

If I don't post tomorrow it's probably because I'm busy with the heavy cleaning!  If I do post, I either worked fast, slacked off early, or just said the heck with it.

 

9 comments:

  1. To make it easier to read and write a blog simply go t the toolbar and adjust the size from 100% to whatever is comfortable for your eyes.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, it's the print size, colors of background & foreground, etc.

      Delete
  2. On my computer, up in the top right corner right under the X for X-ing out, there are three dots. If you click on that, a window will come up that lets you do different things, one being to enlarge bigger than 100% or shrink it down. That way, you can make it any size you need in order to see it. Don't quit blogging, you would be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can and do increase the print size with everything I read, but I can't do anything about making it bolder, changing colors, etc.

      Delete
  3. When I got my exam for my cataract surgery the doctor told me I had markers for macular degeneration I didn't have it but this the markers whatever that means and he gave me a list of vitamins that I should take is that the kind of supplement you were talking about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main ingredients that I've heard to be recommended are lutein and zeaxanthin. The pills I ordered have both, and another product that I have heard good things about (but it's too darn expesive) also has both ingredients. Costco offers a supplement that has similar ingredients. All three have widely varying amounts of lutein & zeaxanthin, as well as other vitamins. It is so difficult to choose, but at least I heard personal testimony from my d-i-l's mother so I'm going to try that one. I will take it to my chiropractor as he has a list of all the vitamins & supplements I'm currently taking. I don't want to get too much of any ingredient, and he is very much up on that sort of thing.

      Delete
  4. Boy I'd love to know what supplements you are taking and what Vitamins Donna is taking since my father has macular degeneration to the point of near blindness and I have the beginnings of it. I will hate to lose your comments when you can't read blogs any more. What colors give you trouble?
    Can't wait to hear how "the boys" camping trip with the kids goes. Do you think Keira could be converted if she goes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting on delivery of my capsules right now. It was shipped via UPS and then when it arrived in Sac, it was transferred to the Post Office. I don't know why they didn't just ship via USPS to begin with - much better than UPS or fed-ex! I will let you know as I start taking them if and when I can tell a difference.

      I think if Keira goes on the camping trip she will make someone's life miserable, but maybe not. They are backpacking in about 2-1/2 miles carrying all their gear, and that distance wouldn't be easy for a 6 yr old just because it seems so long. I'm sure she runs and covers 2-1/2 miles a day in her regular life, but an "enforced march" is different I may be totally wrong and I hope so. I think she won't want to miss anything when the group is leaving, so she will probably join them.

      Delete
  5. You might make a believer out of Keira yet. My first camping experience was at 20 years old and I absolutely hated it...you would never know it now :)

    ReplyDelete