Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

A much better day!.

Thankfully it has cooled down some, although it is still warm in the sun.  I walked on the treadmill this morning - it's been a while since I've done that.  I find that if I slack off for a few days then it's so much harder to get back, so I'm glad I found myself at the gym at 9:45 am!  A couple of errands followed, including returning the two items to Costco that I didn't want.

My son and his family are coming in from NY in a few weeks, and I want to take everyone out for dinner.  I decided to go to Straw Hat Pizza which is a great place for families and the kids don't have to sit still in their seats.  I'll get a few rolls of quarters so they can play some of the games that are such an attraction to kids and their dads.

I went over to Straw Hat after the lunch hour and talked with the manager about arranging our visit.  I don't think they normally reserve tables but she seemed to think it wouldn't be any problem for us to have the back area.  We discussed my running a tab for the drinks (beer and wine), and a lot of other matters.  She was so nice and had several good suggestions, and also told me she would take care of me on price.  It looks like there will be about 12 adults (which includes my sisters and one brother-in-law) and 7 kids. 

The dog park was quiet last night but the fireworks made enough noise.  I don't mind them so much but they continued long into the night.

I haven't been a fan of fireworks since I was in my late teens because of something I can never forget.  I was probably 18 or 19 and had a date with a guy who was from Northern Italy.  We went to Coney Island past the outskirts of Cincinnati where a dance was held every Saturday night at "Moonlight Gardens", a beautiful pavilion.

During the intermission they held a fireworks display which was spectacular.  There was a lull when they must have been getting ready for the next round of pyrotechnics, and my date told me that when he was a very little boy he remembers Mussolini's troops gathering all the men and boys of the village and lining them up against the wall.  They made all the women and small children come out and watch while they fired at them for several minutes.  He said the fireworks sounded like the shooting, and brought that scene back to his mind.  I'm sure he could see again his father, brothers, uncles, neighbors, being riddled with bullets.  I never forgot it, and it sort of took the joy out of watching fireworks displays - after all, what are they but a re-enactment of "bombs bursting in air"!

I've discontinued adding lemon to my morning glass of warm water.  I may do it again every now and then if I happen to have a lemon, but I was starting to feel just like I did the last time I had to stop using lemon.  I never knew if the lemon and my stomach and abdominal pain were related, but I'd say I'm pretty sure by now that it's no coincidence.  I love the lemon water and hate to give it up. 

 

9 comments:

  1. Wow Gypsy...I think if I had a memory like the one your date had and ultimately you by default...it would have ruined any future fireworks displays.

    I am not a fan of fireworks at all. Unfortunately my mother lives in the county and I as well in Houston and these suckers are permitted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had a "take them or leave them" kind of attitude, although as I get older I hate the noise the most. What I can't stand is the idea that so many people get hurt every year by them.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a fan of fireworks either. I can see how anyone who was ever in a war zone would have a hard time understanding our love of them. Not to mention the noise and air pollution. I'm surprised to find the lemon gives you abdominal pain. I think it is eating the enamel on my teeth so I do it infrequently too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't just us who love them - fireworks are "enjoyed" all over the world. And when you're a kid they can be pretty.

      Delete
  3. How very sad for that young man. I don't like the noise of fireworks. If I could just see them I think that would be great. But now I just want them to be over with. Not a lemon in water fan so I don't need to stop that one. I just need to give up salt and chocolate. Yea, right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink so much water during the hot weather I can't keep enough salt in my system.

      Delete
  4. Fireworks just bother me now, and they make my oldest dog shake like a vibrator. It seems the neighbors around here save up their money and spend it twice a year, The Fourth of July and New Years Eve, on fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard on the news yesterday that an animal shelter (I think it was in Orlando) was holding a lot of dogs who tried to run away from the fireworks. Fortunately they were picked up and taken to the shelter. Animals sometimes have way more sense than people do!

      Delete
  5. I gave up the lemon water pretty quick as I saw nothing of benifit from it. I was drinking lemon and Cucumber water in the afternoons but have also slowed down on that mostly because of the cost. I found it very refreshing.
    You will have such a nice gathering with all your family and how nice of Straw Hat to help you out. We don't have anymore of them here for years now.

    ReplyDelete