Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Wild Weather

The weather in the east is truly amazing, and reminds me of a few blizzards I have been through when I lived there.  There is something exciting about making the preparations, getting food (and drink) in, battening down the hatches, and watching the storm's progress on TV.  I've been doing that today - watching the progress of the storm, that is.  My granddaughter is in Philly, a niece is in NYC, and my son and his family are out in the Hudson Valley.  I hope all of them are prepared.

It has been especially interesting watching the behaviors of people who are urged to get off the roads early.  I laughed to myself and thought "those high powered execs in DC are too important to get off the roads when told to.  (I'm including govt as well as corporate officials, as both seem to live in a parallel universe.)  And by golly I wasn't far from wrong - the DC and Northern VA area still have people out getting stuck in the snow.  There have been an astounding number of accidents today in this area, and it puts the responders at risk.

The folks in NYC are having a good time and taking things in stride.  Most of them don't drive anyway, so they are throwing snowballs at each other in Times Square.  Oh how I wish I could be there this weekend.  A TV reporter noted that the line was out the door at Whole Foods, and out the door and down the block at the nearby liquor store.

So it has been raining here much of today and will be the same tomorrow, and then we should have a week of sunshine.

I have my air reservations made for my trip to NY in April.  Wish me luck.

6 comments:

  1. I wold love to be in Virginia this week end too if I could be beamed back as soon as they all go back to work and turn the beautiful snow black and ugly. I think they should declare a snow emergency and close the roads after a certain time. If you don't leave early enough too bad for you. The first responders don't need to be risking their lives over your superman complex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wold love to be in Virginia this week end too if I could be beamed back as soon as they all go back to work and turn the beautiful snow black and ugly. I think they should declare a snow emergency and close the roads after a certain time. If you don't leave early enough too bad for you. The first responders don't need to be risking their lives over your superman complex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was kid living in Pennsylvania, I loved the snow and would stay out all day. Especially loved the woods when it snowed. Everything was so quiet. Back in late 40's or early 50's we had a huge snow storm which dumped 3 to 4 feet in our area. Oh what fun for a young kid. We couldn't get out the doors (which opened out and was blocked by the snow), so my Dad had to climb out a window and clear the snow away from the door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent a lot of my life in the NE and glad to be out of there now:) Hope the weather is good when you get there:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just can not imagine living through a blizzard. I too have been following the news reports. They interviewed a man who was trying to buy some non-electric heaters as there was no electricity at his house but they were all out.

    If your family is anything like you, I know they are well prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been following too. I have had contact with my cousins so no power has been lost yet. I forget that when you have lived there all your life you are pretty good about being prepared. I'm glad I am no longer living there it has been over 40yrs. the NJ coast is also getting hit really hard and all the prep work to hold back the water has failed. Sad to see all those homes being lost once again.

    ReplyDelete