Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Camping, cont'd.

I have just a few more pictures and I covered most of the camping details in yesterday's post.  A word about the photos, there are so many trees and the CA sun is so bright that it's not easy to get a good picture with all the dappling of shade and sun. 

You may have noticed in one of yesterday's photos the two hammocks.  The kids loved playing in them, and periodically one would fall out and cry for a while.  It didn't deter them from getting back in though.




I'm also including a photo of the evening fire made by the the guys.  In the picture of my fire, you can see I had collected a lot of small timber that is all over the ground.  I like an "Indian" fire, and though it requires lots of tending, I actually enjoy it.  I had collected much more than shows in the photo.  Here is one of the guy's fire, and it was kept low while I was awake.  The flames got a little higher once I was in my tent!

This is Autie with my hiking staff, and Steve in back of her.  



I took my binoculars along and this is Alyssa looking through them.  They are too large and heavy for the kids so they didn't fool with them much.



Autie, Liam, and Kiera hiking:



Taking all the trekking poles and hiking staff was a very good idea.  The kids loved them, and when they got tired of carrying them on the hike the adults enjoyed using them.

Sarah and Donald relaxing:

Me with Jeannie and the girls.  Arianna didn't want her picture taken and decided she wouldn't smile.  No matter if we tickled her she kept the frown.



Jeannie and family:



Autumn and grandma:

A word about fire starting:  when Ara was in college in Pennsylvania, she went hiking with a group of friends - just a day hike up to a ridge.  For some reason that I can't remember the group got lost or it got dark, etc., but they were stranded for the night.  There was a lot of concern among the group, so Ara took over, assigned each of them a job to do, and she herself made a fire using a spindle.  That's a Waldorf School graduate for you - survivors all.  (She attended Waldorf Sacramento through elementary and high school.)   The group of college kids and Ara survived very well and came back safe and sound!   That girl can do just about anything!

Sorry if I've repeated any photos or narrative that I posted yesterday.  

In answer to a comment about my tent, I like a backpacking tent when I'm stopping for one night as it's quick and easy to set up.  For longer than one night I prefer the space and stand-up room of the big tent.  Since I hadn't yet used the new backpacking tent I wanted to try it out.  Most 2-person tents now have two doors and two vestibules, which just adds weight when only used by one person, one of the reasons I love this Kelty Salida tent with only one door - only 3 pounds and room for me (and a dog).

Yesterday I bought a Rand McNally Road Atlas at Costco - great price and it's called the 2015 edition.  I had thought it would be nice to keep it by my recliner for those times when I wonder about a route, or where a particular place is, etc.  For planning purposes I much prefer the fold out maps, but I figured the atlas would be good for dreaming.  Too bad I returned it today - couldn't read the damn small print!  So I'll just deal with the fold out maps for dreaming as well as planning.

After yesterday's high of 108, we are expecting a cool spell of only 101 today.

Y'all try to stay cool!

9 comments:

  1. It never got out of the mid fifties here today. Wish I could trade you some of my cool for some of your warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures of you and your gang. That Ara is the one. I'll bet her friends were rightfully impressed with her. Great story. Just reading those triple digit figures is making me too warm. You guys are a hardy bunch there in Sacramento.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I had a great time reading your website. Do you have an email address that I can contact you on? Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

    Regards,

    Joel
    JHouston791 gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've sure got a beautiful family, and the camping trip looks like it was a lot of fun. The heat is bad here, along with the darn humidity. I'm leaving for Utah in the next day or two and hopefully it's a bit drier there. It would be nice if a person could edit their comment instead of having to delete it and post again when they see all the crazy typos they made. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me try this agian bogger seems just want to annoy me today.

    Such a great looking family. I guess your granddaughter didn't bring her dress. Those little hikers are just to sweet. Nice how you can all get together for these camping adventures

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the pictures especially the one of the three future little hikers :)

    Was impressed with the story about Ara but not surprised after all she has you for a mother.

    I do not know if it is just me and my eyes or a lot of things are being published in small print lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great family camping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I am hammock impaired. I have flipped myself out of lots of them:(

    ReplyDelete