Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

First thing I want to do is to address Jessica's comment yesterday that I might consider getting a cat.   I was brought up with dogs as pets; my dad didn't like cats and my mom grew up on a farm where the cats were around the barn to catch mice, but no animal was ever  brought into the house.   She did relent and allowed us to have a dog in our house, so that's what I grew up with.    I don't have anything against cats but would never in a million years want one for a pet.  For one thing I couldn't bear to have a cat walking across my countertops.   So the only pet I would ever consider would be a dog, and I've about given up on that idea. 

Does anyone else notice that TV is absolutely terrible lately?  I don't watch all that much, but when I do flip through the channels I find the same stuff repeated over and over.  And news?  Forget it.  Wars everywhere and nothing but bad news that I'm sick of hearing about.  I'm hoping the repeated programming is just a seasonal thing and will improve in the fall.

My TV service was scheduled to increase by $33 this month, and I called AT&T to cancel it.  I spent just under an hour on the phone while the tech tried to figure out a way to keep me in the fold; they ended up not only cancelling the increase, but giving me a few dollars off the regular bill.  Plus I am getting their internet service as of this evening!  My Verizon MiFi contract ran out a month ago and I've been wanting to find something better.  Now I will have unlimited internet so I can watch a video or YouTube if I want to without worrying about exceeding a 5GB limit a month.   I think my monthly bill will be pretty close to what I'm paying for both services now, except I won't have to deal with Verizon.  I won't be able to travel with internet service, but most of my extended travels involve some motel stays and internet is usually available.  I've quit taking my computer along on camping trips as there is no sense being out in the woods and being distracted by a computer.

There will be just enough technology in my life so that I don't get arrested by the "Hi Tech Police" for not being connected, and just enough technology to keep NSA happy!

10 comments:

  1. Yep, we got to give NSA something to do. . . BTW, I have had no trouble with Verizon. We got one of those "hot spots" for when we are away from home and the twisted pair (phone lines). Also, when are you going to get a another dog? One that would suit you should not be too hard to find. It would not be easy to take a cat camping. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like your father, mine refused to allow cats but he did consent on dogs so that's all I grew up with too. When I had my own home I always had pairs of beagles, for 30 years. When we moved to the farm a calico kitty adopted us and she was a smart thing. She knew she better act like a dog if she wanted to stay. And she did. She never got on any counters or tables, I would NEVER tolerate that. Nor did she scratch the furniture or sleep in my bed. She was the perfect kitty and when she died we never took another chance. I completely understand. At this point in my life, I don't want the responsibility or the restrictions. Even when I become a solo I won't do it as much as I love dogs and SOME cats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No cats at our house either when we were kids. Cats belonged in the barn and since we lived in town...

    I have inherited several cats over the years since I have left home and none of mine got on counters or tables but once or twice. They figured out quickly it wasn't worth the trouble they would be in.

    I've had more problems with the dogs that have come and gone over the years. You'll fund a pet that suits you at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those that think their cats don't get on the counter I'd suggest you put a motion activated camera pointing at them while you are gone. Several years ago on one of the animal shows they had people swear up and down "Oh my cat would never get on the counter". Bawhahahahaha I think they had 6-7 cats filmed and there was only one cat that didn't get on the tables and counters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not cat people either. When we get back to AJ I'll switch to Mediacom for our internet cause it's so much cheaper than Verizon. But I do keep the Verizon for when we travel. I just drop it down to 2gb. Sure wish somebody would come up with something for RVers that was reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on the TV junk. I am calling tomorrow to get the next lower channel pkg. I swear the selection gets worse by the week.

    No cats for me either. Every now then on of my kids would bring one home. The first time they got on the table they had to go. So they didn't last long and the kids finally quit bringing them home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I have been house bound for months now I have been using Netflix. 8.99 a month and they have some really fabulous TV series I had never even heard of. Also I hear the American Netflix is even better then the Canadian one. Lots of Movies, Documentaries and TV Series.

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just telling my Mom how depressing watching the news has become. Seeing the children injured and mutilated on the Gaza strip is too much for me. Practically all the news is bad lately.

    Of all the internet and telephone providers I have had in my life I found that AT&T was the best one to work with and not wanting to lose a customer will match any offer and or lower their price.

    Unfortunately they do not service our area...we are stuck with Time Warner Cable and Verizon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don't have television reception here in the park and I don't miss it at all. Even when I did have it available I watched the news in the am and that was it. Once was enough.
    I get Netflix through my son's friend as a guest. Other than that I have over 350 movies that I can watch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have free cable with our lot rent in the mobile home village where we live, but never watch anything except Sunday night NPR Masterpiece Theatre, and whatever else is on that particular night.

    We do have a Roku box, and with that we can watch movies on Netflix, although that happens only a couple of times a month. I'm not clear how it works, but I think Apple TV performs similarly to a Roku box.

    I've had cats and dogs - in multiples of each, and at the same time! They each have their charms, but for traveling, I think it would be more than I would want to deal with for either.

    I loved my animals, but have been happy not to have had to deal with them as I've gotten older. Thinking back on how much time and energy they required, I just don't have that much to spare any more. Plus when I hear the amounts of vet bills these days, I am astounded.

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete