Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Camping, cont'd.

I got back to my campsite from the attempted and almost completed trip to Inspiration Point, and crashed for a few minutes.   I've always wanted to go back to the vicinity of Ebbets Pass ever since I drove through there about two years ago.  I really didn't want to go to the pass itself because I remember the narrow and constantly winding road with no shoulder, and heart-stopping drop-offs, and no place to turn around.  I'm getting soft in my old age!

I first pulled over and got these pics:  ( click to enlarge).




 Mosquito Lakes:  The rocks in the reflection look like a cut crystal vase turned sideways.  It was an absolutely fascinating sight.




Moving on:  There are boulders of all sizes everywhere.   I can't imagine the glaciers causing this beautiful landscape.













On the way back I stopped again at Mosquito Lakes.  When I stopped the first time I saw several folks with fishing rods, one of whom was reeling furiously.  I stopped again on the way back and asked them if they had any luck, and they replied they had caught 7 already.  Fisherman that I am NOT, I didn't ask what they were catching.   

Most of this mountain road is in excellent condition, recently repaved, although it is very narrow.  I stopped at a place where a bridge had been built to see if there was a creek below.  It turned out to be a dry creek bed, and I wonder if there was a name for this creek or area where such attention had been given to it.  I didn't have to look for long.





Back at the campsite before it started to rain again, I looked closely at the tree in the center of it all.  It appears the moss is killing the tree.



The dark clouds gathered and it started to rain, continuing through the night.   It was disappointing to have to remain in the tent but I wasn't geared for wet weather hiking, so I played solitaire in the tent with a deck of cards I brought along.  Next morning I had coffee and a danish, and packed to leave.  I stopped at the other side of Lake Alpine and took some photos looking back at the area where the campground would be.  I couldn't see any campers, but in one of the pictures you will see a haze that is surely smoke from the morning campfires.





(Loading the photos gave me some problems and I hope I didn't duplicate any pictures.  I caught one duplication for hitting Publish and removed it, but there could be another one.)

I had no difficulties driving back and there was very little traffic.  There are a few small towns that are a pain to drive through - I wasn't driving fast to begin with but to go from 45-55 down to 25 isn't easy.   When I got to the town of Jackson I got confused and drove one way, turned around and went in another direction, finally pulled over and looked at a more detailed map, and finally found my way.  Jackson isn't my favorite place to drive through, and unfortunately my GPS couldn't find a satellite so I guess it's not going to work at all.

Near home is a little town called Sloughhouse, mostly agricultural with farm stands and stores, and a fine inn with a great bar (which I haven't been in since going with Bill and the kids several years back.  We used to go cut our Christmas trees there and stop at the inn on the return trip.)   I noticed the sign for the Harris Ranch store said "No GMO's", and since the best sweet corn grows in Sloughhouse, I stopped and bought a few ears each of white and yellow.  I had one of each with my supper last night - the white has a sweet delicate flavor, whereas the yellow is a more robust sweet.  I've made a chicken corn chowder for my lunch today and am ready to sample it.

I am sure many are wondering why I didn't mention the dog on my camping trip, and that is because after more mess and destruction I decided I couldn't deal with it, nor did I need to deal with it, so I returned him before getting more attached to him.  The fosters have 3 acres, a doggie door, and a pool, plus 4 dogs of their own.  I'm sure Bear is better off, and I know I am.  I can go to the store when I need to, return books to the library and browse for more, and anything I need to do without worrying what I will come back to.   There is no way that dog and I could have shared a tent in all the rain, and I was so glad I had made the decision before camping.

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait for some home grown corn and tomatoes, but summer was such a long time in coming here that it will still be weeks before I get any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some really pretty scenery that you took pictures of, and you did a great job. I sure did enjoy your blog posting. Sorry about the dog, but if it isn't a good fit, it may not be worth the effort. If it had never had any training it would have been just an old puppy and would give you a lot of problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand about the decision to take Bear back. I'm sorry for both of you, but at least now you know how you feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think returning Bear was a good decision for you because this is the most positive post you have posted in a while. I hope you get to do more camping/hiking this summer as you seem to enjoy it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corn is not available here yet. I love white sweet corn. Hopefully we'll get some before too long. Flathead cherries should be ready before too long. I'm ready for them also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures are beautiful. Sounds like you had another enjoyable camping trip.

    Kathi
    arlonHboozer.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful camping trip you had. The pictures are great and I didn't see any doubles. I'm so glad you went it was much needed for you.
    Bringing the dog back was a good idea. Maybe he was kept outside all his life and didn't have training for the house or anything else. To bad he was a good looking dog but they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. It will be better for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful scenery and what tranquil location. I have camping envy :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures of what sounds like a very nice trip. LOL at the name of the gulch. There isn't much better than a dinner of sweet corn ears and fresh tomatoes. We suffered the heat and humidity of Virginia summers just to have that for 6 or 7 weeks. We'd even eat it right off the stalk. Pick some for dinner, shuck one in the garden and eat it on the way into the house. DElicious!!

    Your decision about bear sounds like the right thing for you both. Perhaps he really loves it at his foster home and was missing it and confused. It's hard to adopt a grown dog and hard to deal with a puppy. I think I may be too old for either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad that you got to go camping. Pretty area and some nice pix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay! trying to get caught up on blog readin! soooo glad you went camping and I was never in favor of you getting another dog...

    too high maintenance .. we're old and our high maintenance is all we need to try and handle!

    great pictures! glad you're out of your doldrums.. knew you would be .. ;)

    ReplyDelete