Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Camping in the Sierra

I drove to Pine Marten C.G. on Monday morning and found that there were only two spaces left.  People usually leave on Sunday so I didn't think there would be a problem finding a site, but the camphost told me the sites filled back up again as soon as they were vacant.  I guess the current campers were vacationers rather than weekenders.   One spacious site was next to the host, and the other had a lake view.  I figured I'd leave the lake view to someone who would appreciate it more than I would, and I am so glad I took the space I did.  It was beautiful and spacious, and most all the sites are separated by pines and boulders so there is a good sense of privacy.

Taken along CA-4 looking towards the Sierra:  (Click on a picture to enlarge it.)







View from my site:

My tent is the 3rd level down on the site.  A little above that is the firepit level, and then the picnic table at the top.





The rain began in early afternoon and continued throughout the night.  I had eaten lunch and then went to seek shelter in my tent thinking it wouldn't last too long.  It rained continuously so I didn't come back out of the tent, nor did I eat supper.

"The Best in Tent Camping-Northern CA" says that "it snows frequently and heavily in Pine Marten.  Pacific storms sucked  through the Golden Gate  head east to the Sierra Nevada below Ebbets Pass.  At about 7000 ft the clouds cool down and dump all their moisture as snow.  A  snowstorm in July 1995 resulted in 30 foot drifts at this campground", and I went to sleep wondering what in the world I'd do.  I don't have snow tires, don't even like to drive on slick rainy streets, and it would be downhill all the way if I could even get out.  I decided not to worry and fell asleep.  When the same thing happened the following day and night, I didn't even consider worrying about snow!  

Tuesday morning was beautiful and I got an early start to climb up to Inspiration Point.  The name gives a clue that it's an uphill climb with a view!   The trail starts out along the shore of Alpine Lake and is a nice level walk.






My destination - the rock on the left:



 Almost there:



I'm surprised I got as decent a picture as I did, because the sun was blinding me.  This is about the last 50 ft to the Point.  I may be adventurous but I'm not crazy.  I'm well aware of the effect of falls on people my age, and although I really wanted to get to the top I remembered the old adage that "discretion is the better part of valor".   I don't regret not attempting it.  I saw this beautiful view from where I was though:




On the way back down:




I sat on a log to rest and took a whole lot of shots of this Stellar's Jay, but only a few weren't blurry:





A couple more shots of Alpine Lake:





Nearing the campground - note all the green.  (That's what happens when you get rain once in a while.  Most of CA is just brown grass and some of the trees look like fall elsewhere - leaves turned to brown.)





When I got back to my site I sat and rested for a few minutes, wishing I had brought the Ben-Gay that supposedly has a vanishing scent--NOT!  But I wanted to drive in the direction of Ebbets Pass, and I will continue with more pictures tomorrow.  

10 comments:

  1. Very nice camp site, and the hike looks beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful area. I bet you are glad to be back out camping again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you went camping. I love your pictures - such gorgeous views.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you got yourself some real fine photos there & good for you hiking as well as you did & being wise not to push it. I haven't got to that wise point yet. I think you do very well with that tent camping. My biggest problem I think would be in getting my stiff bones up off the ground in the morning. You go girl:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a gorgeous place to camp. I'm glad you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place your views where gorgeous. I love all the tree roots. Those birds are not easy to photograph I never managed any good shot myself. Glad you went out camping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see you out camping. It is good for the soul. Excellent hike! I've missed hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful place. Glad you got to go and that you did not push yourself to reach that rock.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where's the dog? Great views out that way. We're in heavy smoke. We can't see any mountains any longer moving more toward Mt. Hood in the morning IF the fires don't stop us.

    I'm so glad you're enjoying the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete