Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Early birthday party

Since Jeannie & family will be in Philadelphia and other points east on Donald's 40th birthday, we had the Sacramento celebration at their house yesterday.  He made his own cake - the "frosting" is ice cream and there is a layer of ice cream in the cake.   To make it easy on Donald, who usually does the cooking, she brought in pizza.  I didn't get many pictures because of my main camera not working properly - I think it's done for.  (Click on pictures to enlarge)






They caught me as I was leaving.



I sure will miss them while they are away.  They will be spending some time with Mike and his family, and they have a few days at the  beach as well as everything the Philadelphia area has to offer.  I would love to go back there some time, but I won't be going anywhere this year.

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!

I want to introduce you to a new friend of mine:










His name, at least most recently, is Bear.  I was going to change it but my daughter thinks he looks like a bear, so for now I am calling him either Bear or Baby.  Jeannie went with me to Folsom Petsmart today where the Central CA Lab Rescue brings adoptable labs twice a month.  I definitely wanted a black male, but this chocolate guy won my heart.  He's an old guy, 11 yrs old, so I know we will have a relatively short time together, but he was the calmest and most mellow of all the labs there.

He will drive me crazy - exploring the house looking for anything to eat - I've had to empty my kitchen garbage can and all wastebaskets, put away crayons and things the kids leave around, and lord only knows how it's going to turn out.  He is obviously needing to lose some weight but has already consumed more than a day's share of treats.  I think he is about 90#, so we are going to try to help his heart out and get rid of some of the pounds.  It's hard to put a lab on a diet.

I hope to be able to take him camping for a couple of days in the next month or so and see how he likes being in the great outdoors.  He was found as a stray in the Sierra mtns., microchipped but not registered to his former owner.   I will be glad to get the paperwork to register my name and how to contact me.   His coat was very thick, no doubt because of living in the mountains and snow, but with a lot of brushing he's lost a lot of it.  

We have a couple of weeks grace period in case it doesn't turn out to be the perfect match, but as for me I am very happy.   I'll be glad when he can settle down and stop looking for food.  It's only 3:30 in the afternoon and I don't want to give him supper for a little while.

I'm glad Jeannie went along with me because she thought to ask a lot of questions that wouldn't have occurred to me.  So I am pretty limp right now, and just want to flop into my recliner and close my eyes.  Bear, on the other hand, is not ready for a nap.

Within 10 minutes of him being in the house I had to follow him around with a paper towel wiping up the saliva dribbles.  We poured him a plastic cup of water when we got into the car and he gave all of us a shower.    

UPDATE:
Supper was interesting, and once I set the bowl down it was over with in seconds.  I bought  organic grain-free pellets, and mixed a third of a can of organic chicken-duck grill wet food in with the pellets.  Added a fish oil capsule to the mix, and he loved it.   I'm also going to give him one of my glucosamine tablets every morning to help his joints.  He doesn't seem to have any problems getting up and down, but with the weight he is carrying I think he will in the near future unless I can put him on a diet.  Dang, that's near impossible with a lab.

14 comments:

  1. He is a beauty ,he has the big head and tongue like Rigg's. I know h will bring you a lot of happiness and companionship, Give him a pet from us. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Gypsy - he's beautiful. Slobber and all. My sister had a black lab named Bear and he was the best dog. He's probably nervous, trying to figure out where he belongs so hopefully in a day or two he will settle down for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a handsome boy! He has a very kind face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwww congratulations.... beautiful dog ... you're looking mahvelous dahling ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found a dog. I am sure he will keep you very busy and on your toes for the next few days. It shouldn't take him long to relax and settle down and settle in. Have fun and enjoy your new pet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate labs are so beautiful. He looks very healthy for being a stray. He will settle in and you will both be very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy early birthday to Donald. His cake looks delicious.

    Congratulations on your new companion, he looks like a very sweet and loveable dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy for you!His(hopefully) forever home! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy for you!His(hopefully) forever home! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Gypsy just like my G/F I'm gone a month or two and you guys bring a new man into the house..LOL I think its great and you will have a new hiking buddy and body guard by the looks of him. I pray you guys will have a very long relationship well into the future...
    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why am I not surprised? He looks like a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well goodness, I missed Donald's birthday and that delicious looking cake that I would love to have a slice of. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DONALD. That's a great picture of them. Both so good looking.

    AND I missed Bear. He's quite handsome too. I know he'll figure out how lucky he is to have been picked by you and begin to fit right in. Glad you are so happy to have him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so excited for you - he is beautiful! I love labs, too. He might be looking all over for food because he went without for a while when he was lost. Maybe when he's settled and feels safe and knows he doesn't have to hunt for something to eat, he'll calm down food-wise. Although when Katie is in either of my kids' houses, she constantly has her nose to the floor looking for crumbs. They know a good thing when they see it! Good luck - I sure hope he works out for you and for his sake, too. :)))

    ReplyDelete