Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Lazy!

I have really been lazy today - reading most of the time.  The library has a reading program each summer and you get something if you complete the reading and activity requirements.  I'm not sure what the the prize is this year, but one year I got a nice cloth bag to carry my books back and forth.

I had already finished the category of non-fiction (What Makes Olga Run), and just finished mystery (W is for Wasted).  I've now started on fiction (A Week in Winter, by Maeve Binchy).   I can forget about everything else in the world when I'm reading an interesting book.

I did take time out to get my shower and clean the bathroom, and will be going to the gym this evening.  I'm hoping the temperature will drop a few degrees by that time - it's now down to 93, which is still too hot for me.

Can a person drink too much water?   Except for my morning coffee and the protein shake (with milk) after a gym session, all I drink is plain water.  I don't like any kind of soda or anything in a can, and even drinks like Gatorade are not to my liking.   I've been adding more salt than usual to my dinners to try to replace what I know I'm losing by drinking so much water.   I've done an internet search but many of the results are either confusing, contradictory, or just plain bunk!   Most cover their backsides by saying "Ask your doctor".  I can see it now - I go to the doctor and ask about it and there are tests that would need to be run to make sure it isn't this or it isn't that.   Why should I worry if it doesn't cost me a cent?  Why should I waste Medicare or Blue Cross funds?  I think the heat is getting to me and I'm becoming a little grumpy!

7 comments:

  1. When I was in my condo, I did ask my doctor about water. I drank one cup of coffee a day, and sometimes milk - either in cereal or with cookies. Other than that, I seldom drank anything and I was worried about the "at least 8 8-ounce glasses of water a day."

    He said I was fine, I had always been a non-drinker, even with meals, and I was getting what I needed in my food. I drink more water now, probably because I'm in warmer climates.

    I wouldn't worry about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a person can drink too much water (called water intoxication), but I doubt that you have even come close to too much. As long as you get plenty of electrolytes, like salt, you should be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After my last bout with a kidney stone about 3 years ago I backed off drinking so much milk & switched over to Ocean Spray's 'Cranberry-Raspberry. Been drinking it ever since. Hard for me to drink a glass of water. I maybe drink 6 glasses of water.......a year. Just don't like the darn stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Half your body weight in ounces is a good benchmark for water intake per day. This is normally much more than most folks drink. You are right to increase your sodium to compensate for the increase in water. Also, potassium and iodine should be increased. I use a pharmaceutical grade supplement for the three rather than relying on food-stuffs for these increases. Foods like bananas have far, far too much sugar and poorly absorbed potassium, for instance. Magnesium is always a good one to boost, also. Like you, I'm a water drinker. Now and again I'll do a green tea or maybe a Bulletproof Coffee - but mostly it's water, water, water. Love your blog!! Your smile makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a condition which causes crystals in my body so I have to drink lots of water. I drink anywhere from 3-4 20 oz. bottles a day to avoid stones. If you can pull your skin and it takes a while to go back down you need more fluids like water or some kind of juice with limited sugar. I can't stand gator aid it seems so slimy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't blogged in s long, but I have seen a few of your lovely emails.

    I am distressed that you are are sill so "underweight". I only write that in quotes because I get the sense from the post that you are.

    I can relate. MY GOODNESS...but I am a wee bit younger than you, and I handle this okay...no offense. I can't offer advice, just empathy. MY GAWD I want to smack doctors that tell me to gain weight, yet they give me meds that make me LOSE them. I spend half my life throwing up. HA.

    I crave vegetables...but they do nothing....I have found that chocolate and ice cream, and pie and cake work....I HATE sweets. Always have....but they are low in sodium, and I make most of it so can control it [I can't have sodium] So...the only advice is start loving croissants and pies.

    Get a sweet tooth.

    Otherwise we are both kicking our scales to the curb. :D

    I have missed you SO SO SO MUCH, and I am sorry I never responded to your lovely emails. I didn't know how to tell you....it's well...me.

    Know how much I care and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading is not being lazy. I love to read and back before there was internet I did a lot of reading...now I read blogs...does that count? :D

    I drink a lot of water, always have even in the winter. I drink between one and a half to two gallons a day.

    ReplyDelete