Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, July 4, 2014

Cal Expo 4th of July

I just turned on the tv to the news and am watching a fire burning at Cal Expo (Sacramento).  If you've been reading my blog for a long time you might remember that I stayed at the RV Park there in 2009/2010 on several occasions.  I walked Lady and Mandy along the bike trail that runs behind it, and to which the fire has reached and actually crossed in some places.  I loved to walk one spur of the trail that goes past the race track to watch the exercising of the horses in the morning.  There were sulky races there in the evening, just across the fence from my RV and I loved hearing the crowd cheering.

There was to be fireworks at the Expo this evening as well as some type of sports event, and Cal Expo just issued a statement that the parking lots were closed at the present time, and that a decision will be made later about the fireworks and game this evening.  Did I hear that right??? A decision will be made?  It is already 4:30 pm here!  Who on earth would park their car among thousands of other cars and take their children  along with thousands of others to watch fireworks?  I sure wouldn't get caught in that possible trap.  And the winds are in the 16-18 mph range which isn't all that bad under normal circumstances, but  I can see the flames advance as I watch the scene on tv.

It is still burning - I believe they are letting some of the tinder and dry grass burn, but there are also a lot of bushes and small trees.  I just hope they've gotten the horses to safety.  Those poor animals would definitely be terrified just smelling the smoke.  The newscasters said they can see hundreds of small animals and birds - deer, squirrels, jackrabbits, coyotes, raccoons, rattlesnakes, etc., scrambling to get out of danger.  They have just lost their habitat and I hope they find a place to sleep tonight.  I just watched two little deer trying to find their way across the scorched earth, which one newscaster said is so hot he can't touch it.

I watched fireworks at our little municipal park last night; it is about 2 miles from my house and I could see and hear them well enough that I didn't want to get any closer.  As a kid I liked fireworks ok, but I think in the current drought over much of the U.S. it is ridiculous to continue the practice.  What in the hell is the point of it?   I can imagine Ft. McHenry, the bombs bursting in air, the flag still there, and all that without the pyrotechnic displays.

UPDATE:  Cal Expo will hold the fireworks display tonight at 9:30, and people are already lining up outside the gates to be sure to get a good viewing point.  All this while the fire is still burning in spots!  Idiots all.  

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I question the logic of some people. While this is an important day in our history and worthy of being celebrated...it should not be at the expense of ones own children and family.

    I definitively would not attend but hey that is just me. Terrible to hear about all those animals that are now without their habitat. Wonder what will become of them?

    Hope the fire is put out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is amazing! I for one hate the stupid song that glorifies war as our national anthem so bombs bursting in air makes me sick. If that's what inspires fireworks, you cna have them. I'd much prefer America the Beautiful as a national anthem, and you can even sing it. But fireworks in the west this year is shear idiocy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure wouldn't find me there either one year it was dry like now and we had been watching them from my yard and all of a sudden we all realized at the same time the entire mountain was on fire. There where some injuries for sure and people that went up the mountain to watch couldn't get out of the way. After that I lost interest to be sure.

    ReplyDelete