Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

A few thoughts

Since I've had a couple of comments on pillows, I'll just say that I wouldn't have even thought of it being the problem until I read that pain in the shoulder blade is almost always caused by an issue with the neck.  And I don't normally have a problem in the world with my neck, so I considered it might have been because I didn't take my small pillow.  I was using a new sleeping bag that features a built-in pillow - actually a thin piece of foam - which is why I left my camping pillow at home.  I think the problem was strain in my back to try to keep from sliding on the uneven terrain.

I feel much better this morning so I will just have to be more careful in the placement of my tent in the future.  Oddly enough, there is rarely a completely flat piece of ground on which to pitch a tent, and I've never had this kind of problem before.  Hopefully I won't have it again.

In looking over my photos it strikes me that this is the perfect amount and form of water to make me happy.  I appreciate the beauty of an ocean or lake, but a creek, stream or river is my perfect choice.  I like my rivers big and small - one of the most perfect spots when I was RVing was in Idaho at Village of Trees RV Park, right on a wide point in the Snake River.  But water rushing over rock is my perfect scenario.

I also think the western mountain chains, the Sierra Nevada, Cascade Range, etc., are stunning and breathtakingly beautiful.  The eastern mountains, the Appalachian chain, the Allegenies, and others are beautiful, sometimes mysterious, but welcoming and friendly.   I always feel wrapped up in their many folds, and loved.   If I had to spend the rest of my life in one or the other it would be the Appalachians, but that's not the way life is.  I hope I can continue to travel to and through the eastern part of the country for many years to come, while I will continue to be awestruck in the Sierra as well.

Oh, but I've left out the Rockies, haven't I?  I don't think I've ever had a full appreciation for them, although I would like to spend some time in the Northern and Canadian rockies if I could.  Life is just too darn short, and I'm on the short end of the stick with so much to see and do and so little time.

The Silver Fork campground - my most recent trip - was very well laid out to provide good privacy between sites, and you actually could hear the water from just about the entire campground.  I noted that for as far back from the main road that it is located - about 8 miles over rough road undergoing road work at that - there are a disproportionate number of RV's, large and small.   Having towed a large 5th wheel over 6 miles of gravel road when I worked at Lassen I know it's possible, but not many folks tried bringing in the big rigs.   I really wish that campgrounds would set aside a loop for the big ones, and at least a loop for tenters.  I got up in the middle of the night to see a huge column of lights flashing off and on next to a big RV, plus a very bright light that came on when someone (me) walked by.  That is very intrusive to me to not be able to walk to the bathroom after dark without being blinded by a spotlight, and if a person is so paranoid they probably shouldn't be there in the first place.

In looking back I'm so glad I went to Silver Fork and wouldn't mind returning although the spot I had was perfect for accessing the rocks and getting close to the water.   Unfortunately there wasn't a flat place to camp.  Next time I might pad up the picnic table and set out my bedroll on top of it.  Actually, I did look for a flat space big enough to hold the pad and sleeping bag for some "cowboy camping".  I couldn't even find that except for right up by the fire pit.

This afternoon I'm driving back up US 50 for a few miles to watch my grandson Liam at his swimming lessons.  I think it's such a great idea for kids to swim when they are very young.  Liam will be 4 in just about a month.   I still have a few camping things to put away but they will wait.  I am just so happy my shoulder doesn't hurt any more that I'm not worrying about a thing!


6 comments:

  1. Glad to here your shoulder is better. I agree, I love being near a river or stream flowing over rocks. I have been searching out forest campgrounds lately and it will be hard to stay in a commercial campsite when the fores campgrounds are not nearby. The sites at these federal campsites are usually large and private - too bad about the RV with all the lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had more fun camping in a tent then I do camping in the motorhome. I am not saying I don't enjoy going in the RV, because I do. Makes it a lot nicer if the weather turns sour. Cooking dinner over an open wood fire in a pouring rain is not all that easy (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great camping trip under your belt. I also love being around the water

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just enjoy going camping no matter where it might be.

    You are having so much fun and it comes across in your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are enjoying your recent camping trips. Just one thought...please don't blame the RV for the flashing lights....blame the camper who put them up. I have seen tenters who lit up the night with all kinds of colored lights too and agree it is very annoying. I was at one of my favorite camping parks last week and was astonished to see three different groups all decked out with flashing lights that shot up into the air. It looked like ground fireworks without the noise...very intrusive. I have another female friend who has a motion detector light on her tiny RV for "security"...really, you are camping in the woods; there are going to be animals moving around and it is annoying to other campers to have her light flashing on and off. I have a 5th wheel but I too like the quiet and darkness when I camp. Hope you get some more good trips in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really glad to hear your shoulder is fixing itself. I agree so often with what you say that it's getting to be a broken record. Today it's about the Appalachian Mountains and that campgrounds should have separate loops for RVs and tenters. I think putting your pad and sleeping bag on the picnic table for a level spot is a great idea. You could even pitch a little tent up there and crawl in. Might give the campground an idea that they need to get some equipment and make a level spot on these sites.

    ReplyDelete