Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, February 10, 2013

In yesterday's post I mentioned having bought soy-free eggs, and Shadowmoss commented she had never heard of them.  I found this info on the internet, and will repeat it here in case there are others who also wonder about it.

"Soy has become a big part of the human diet post World War II, with the result that there are many people with soy allergies today, and many people today are trying to reduce or eliminate soy protein from their diet.  Soy is the cheapest protein available today, and it is a major component of most animal feeds. Cheap soy protein allows chickens to grow the fastest, and produce the maximum amount of eggs during their peak laying cycles. If you believe you are allergic to eggs, it could be that you are in fact allergic to soy protein that researchers have now found soy to be present in egg yolks. Almost all commercial eggs, including those that are organic or marketed as "Omega 3" eggs, are from chickens fed high concentrations of soy. So if eggs are a part of your diet today, so is soy protein, whether you realize it or not."

I don't think I eat enough soy products to be bothered by it, and have never had any kind of reaction to eggs.  I find that organic eggs, soy or no soy, taste much better and fresher and remind me of eggs from my grandmother's hens many years ago.

My granddaughters Autumn and Arianna stayed at my house yesterday evening while their parents went to a movie, and it was fun being with them.  The TV was off most of the time, but we did watch a few episodes of Phineas & Ferb, which I'll have to say I enjoyed.  My grandsons in NY introduced me to this cartoon a couple of years ago.  I'm not much fun when it comes to television though, as I have no DVD and all other equipment that make up TV watching today (not even a flat screen).  I even have to scroll through the guide because I only remember the 5 or 7 channels that I watch.

It seems that one part of the country finally gets a break in the weather but another part flares up.   I hope all of you in the South Central states keep safe. 

8 comments:

  1. My neighbor has chickens in their backyard. I am lucky enough to get my eggs there.the hens are outside scratching all day long. The nice dog is keeping them in line. I even looked after them when the neigbours went away for a week. They are a delight. I love our eggs, so i guess ai am lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's frustrating that most foods are not what they are supposed to be. Years ago I was told to stay away from soy, I don't usually eat eggs (did not know about the soy connection) but just purchased a half dozen because I want to make some waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sugar is my poison ... and I don't like preservatives... all those chemicals going in our bodies... no wonder there's so much cancer and such.

    Well? see... that's what I would love to have happen... dropping the grandkids off at my house. yep

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that information. I did not know about the soy. I just started using it for smoothies and also the protien powder. Luckily I have not had any problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess my chickens laid soy free eggs. they had table scraps, grit, slugs and bugs and the eggs were so delicious. I really miss my girls but glad that we were able to find good homes for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our eggs were soy free all our chickens ate were corn and bugs. And boy were they good. I don't miss the cold weather feedings, but sure miss my chickens. They made the best noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the explanation. Goes to show you just never know what they will come up with next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gypsy, If you look at the ingredients in most things you will find soy in them, and it's genetically engineered soy, at that.

    GMO soy and GMO corn, and high fructose corn syrup, have taken over our food. So I look very carefully at labels.

    I was thinking about adopting an older pet, one that wouldn't outlive me, but they are hard to come by. Most shelters don't think anyone will want the older ones and put them to sleep.

    Happy Trails, Penny.

    ReplyDelete