Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Crazy Weather

When I see what the weather is like in the greater part of the country, I think I'd like to stay right here! We have upper 70's/low 80's, a little rain now and then to keep the foliage lush and green, and it is very pleasant.

I've received several comments that have given me some helpful suggestions about planning my trip to Asheville and CA. It makes sense to just pay another month's rent on the storage and not have to return to NY, although I would miss seeing my grandaughter (Ara), who will be in PA until about the 16th of June before she flies to CA for a limited summer vacation. Since she will be returning before I get there, I won't see her until Christmas. It may not seem to be all that important, but she is such a joy in my life and especially the older I get the more I cherish the brief times I am with her.

I could probably buy or rent a small trailer to carry the few items I have in storage back to CA, except for a large maple rocking chair. I'm holding on to it to give to Ara, as her "Papa" bought it for me when I gave birth to her mother (my daughter, Jeannie). Ara is as sentimental as I am and she cherished her Papa, so I know it means a lot to her. It will be the bulkiest item to bring back. The rungs on this rocker were gnawed on by the puppy we had at the time, so it sure wouldn't be saleable, but as my son Steve said, its scratches and chew marks all tell the story of my life at the time, and I rocked 3 of my 4 babies in that chair.



I think I am finished with tooth extractions, and am getting close to looking like a jack-o-lantern, although I've been able to retain the teeth in the front, so it's only if I smile really big that it's noticeable.

The grandsons are visiting Sandy's parents and won't be home until Sunday, so it is quiet around here. Before they left I asked Joshua to show me how to use the remote and I actually watched TV last night! I switched between the Weather and the History channels, with a little QVC thrown in. What fun for a change. I can't believe a 5 year old can operate that complex remote, but I guess he knows enough to get to the Disney channel. Like all males, he holds the remote close when he's watching. It must be in their genes!

I'm getting a serious case of hitch itch which gets stronger every day. I thought I was over it but I guess not. Theresa over at Roadrunner's Travels is going through the same thing, and I think we are both just a tiny bit intimidated by how we think our kids will react. Not that it will stop either one of us if we find something to travel in. To be perfectly truthful, I would love to find something to live AND travel in, although I know it's probably unrealistic because I can't afford it. Being no good at fixing up and maintenance/repairs I need to steer clear of most older & cheaper models.

10 comments:

  1. Those special items like the rocker are worth the trouble to hang on too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that rocker has a lot of stories to tell, so pass it along and let it gather more stories through the generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are so right about the importance of visits with your granddaughter for both of you. She will cherish them and the rocker.

    Stay where it is cool.

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get the storage question ironed out to your satisfaction.
    By the way, I am the keeper of the remote in our house ☺ but we hardly watch TV, mostly News and 60 Minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha Ha! It's great to have control of the remote. One of the positive things about traveling solo! :)

    My daughter has kept the rocker that my grandmother, my mother, I, and she have used to rock our babies. Can't beat that history!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sort of think the rocker will fit over the front passenger seat, if you turn it upside down. Top of the back down on the rug where your feet would go, and the rockers up high. Tie it down with the seat belt. That would leave all of the back seat for Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right about looking at rigs. I guess it is something in the "blood", I just can't help looking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rocking chair story is priceless. Reminded me a lot of my Mom's rocker, and I finally decided to give it to my niece. She will take excellent care of it, and it will stay in the family. I think you made the right choice about your storage shed. This way you won't be so worn out, but it is a shame about your missing your Grand daughter. Mine is very precious to me also. We just seem to connect more than with my Grand sons. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whatever you decide to do, it will be the right one for you. Hope to see you when you get back to Sac. take your time. It's hot here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its been awhile since you wrote; are you ok?

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete