Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Now for the RV...

The stars must be perfectly aligned for me yesterday and today, and I must take advantage of it because I don't know when it will happen again.

First thing today I went out to admire my truck, and decided to tackle the RV. I have done a few very small sections (storage bay doors, etc.) to try out the product, and today I did the largest of the three slides - the dining/E Center slide. It was covered with mildew spots and was very dirty, so I went over it twice: once with OxyGone, and the second time with the Waterless Car Wash & Protective Glaze. I don't see how I can ever do this entire 5th wheel by myself. For one thing I don't have the physical power to apply sufficient elbow grease. But I will keep on with small sections, even though it's beginning to look like a patchwork quilt. I'm also accumulating a lot of filthy terry cloth towels, and I don't know if I want to soak them in Clorox and wash them, or just toss them out. I'm going to buy another big bundle the next time I'm at Costco. They are the perfect size for wrapping glasses, coffee mugs, etc. for travel.

When I was in Pennsylvania in December, I had the window inserts in the doors secured as they were both slipping (a fairly common problem I've noticed from the RVing forums). They used some sort of adhesive, probably when reapplying the seals around the window, and it was smeared all over the door. I didn't notice it right away until it got dirty. You'd think the person doing the work would wipe off the residue, but they don't seem to care and I am 3000 miles away. I would NEVER recommend Keystone RV Service in Greencastle, PA, for any work. They also left a residue of something all around the storage door they installed under the front cap.

Speaking of Costco, you may remember a couple of months back that I picked up a box of 80 Eggos on a shopping expedition to the Sacramento store. I have only 4 Eggos left! Since they take up so much of the freezer space, I'd better hold off buying another big box as I will need to stock it with meat and a few frozen veggies when I go to Lassen. And speaking of Lassen, I just took another look at what will be my campsite there. It looks pretty spacious, and I'm hoping that with the trees, the awning extended, windows open, and ceiling fan running I won't need a/c, although I wonder if I will need the generator to run the fan. This is going to be some learning experience, and I will either love it or my personality and temperament will change so drastically that I will refuse to stay in anything except fancy resorts from then on! I shudder to think of that.

I just filled my tank after the trip to Sacramento, and figured I got about 13.7 mpg. I'm happy with it considering that when towing I get about 9.5. And of course there isn't a hill to be seen between Sacramento and Orland!

My thermometer says it is 90F outside the rig! It is getting way too warm for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment