Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, April 5, 2009

I LOVE Sav More Foods!

I can happily spend a lot of time just browsing the aisles of the Sav More food store in Orland. First of all, I like the idea that they are an employee-owned company. Secondly, I try to support local small businesses wherever I happen to be. The Sav Mor is a decent-sized supermarket, and the items they carry are simply amazing. You can be sure that their main clientele is Mexican. In the produce section there are huge galvanized tubs with about every kind of pepper imaginable. A giant galvanized tub holds dried pinto beans, and I've already mentioned the manteca. The bakery bread is good for a supermarket, and overall prices are as good as, or better than I've seen elsewhere. For years I've preferred shopping for groceries on a daily or every other day basis. I like fresh produce and meats, and while they will keep in the fridge for a while, it is much nicer to go and buy what you want for a meal or for a day or two. That is just my own preference. And the icing on the cake, so to speak, is the fact that they carry Miller High Life in glass - 12 oz and 32 oz bottles!

I took a drive out to Black Butte Lake this morning - a Corps of Engineers facility. I had hoped to see the two campgrounds and find out if there are campsites set a little apart for when my family comes up to Orland for a camping weekend. Each CG has a group site which is a little pricey, but they may be larger than what we would want. I spoke to a park ranger who told me the park office wasn't open today, but will be open during the week. It's only a few miles from here so I will try to get back tomorrow.

I wondered why the rig was so cold this morning when I got up. Since I'm paying the electric I hesitate to get the electric heater out, and I also don't want to run out of propane! Is that what is referred to as being between a rock and hard place? Well, I found the reason for the sub-arctic temperatures--I left the vent open over the shower and the cold air was coming in through it. I hate to even open the vent because I invariably forget to close it later. To really confuse me, the thermometer was pointing to 70F when I looked first thing, and by 9:00 am it was registering 100F! Now I know that isn't the case. I loved that thermometer until I had to take it down when moving here from Sacramento. It never stuck to the window properly after that. It supposedly clings electrostatically, and since by 1:pm this afternoon the temp reading is about 79F, I guess it was the sun that caused it to go haywire this morning.

I took no pictures today, but I'll try to get a couple when I go back to the lake.

4 comments:

  1. So, how many of those 32 ounce bottles did you buy. I know I would have at least bought a six pack lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should put a little or BIG reminder note on top of your bed as soon as you make the bed. Then you might not forget :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I'm paying my own electric and using, for instance, the electric for heating water I set my timer for an hour. It reminds me to turn it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 32 ounce...Now that is a bottle of beer! Bob

    ReplyDelete