Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

More about the lentils

I hope you are not sick of hearing about this, but I just want to add a little more about my experience trying something new - something I never in my life thought I would like.  Perhaps it has something to do with the way I cooked and seasoned them, but they will be a part of my diet from now on.

First of all, I didn't cook them until they got all mashed into a paste.  You can still see the individual lentil in the soup, and I can tell you it is as good the next day as it was yesterday!

I started with a couple of tbsp of "Better than Bullion" paste.  It is is organic, reduced sodium, roasted chicken base, and I stirred it into the pan of water.  I added some chopped onion and celery, along with a can of Muir's Glen organic cubed tomatoes.  I added the lentils when I had brought the liquid to a boil, and only boiled them for about 20 minutes, before they turned mushy but were thoroughly cooked.  I threw in a few shakes of pepper, and maybe a tsp of cumin.  If I did anything else I can no longer remember it!  (oh yes, I did dice a chicken breast and added it to the pot.)  Delicious.

The high winds we experienced a few days ago certainly left a mess of dust & dirt, leaves, and other debris.  Fortunately for us, there wasn't damage to speak of in our area, although I don't have TV so I might not be aware of it.   It seems like the winds are picking up again today so it's not worth raking leaves or cleaning the driveway/carport.

Stay safe, wherever you are.


 

2 comments:

  1. Glad your enjoying the lentils. I use vegetable broth or chicken when I cook mine and some herbs. I don't know what your temps are right now but it was very cold here last night and today sure glad I made that pot of vegetable soup yesterday. Loving this cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is really cold at night but the sun warms things up pretty quickly. I turned the heat on this morning to warm up the house a bit. It stays relatively cool all day.

    ReplyDelete