Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

In the Doldrums

I haven't had much energy or motivation for some time now.  I quit taking thyroid pills - I was getting a bottle of them every 3 months and paid all of $.86 for the entire bottle.  The last time I had the Rx refilled they charged me $15, and upon checking I notice the mfr was the same, and everything else was the same.  I think I wrote about this in a previous blog.  I really didn't think the pills did much for me, but now I'm wondering if the tiredness and lethargy I'm experiencing might be a sign I need the meds.  I will be going to the lab soon to have blood drawn for my upcoming visit to the oncologist, and wonder how I could get a thyroid test in the works.  Since I've moved I haven't gotten a GP at the new place and want to get a recommendation from my cardiologist at the same location as to which one she would suggest.  I really wish I had some energy and a positive outlook.

I've been going out for a short period of time now and then and planting more seeds in the garden - I just planted a row of spinach.  I had sewn 6 or 7 different kinds of seeds in special planting boxes about 2 weeks ago.  So far there hasn't been any sign of a leaf emerging, which is really disappointing.  I'll keep watering and hope I see signs of life within the next week, and if not then I will just give up on it.  What a waste of seed!   I'd like to hear from some of you gardeners out there as to your take on what I might be doing wrong.  I bought high-quality non-GMO seeds and planted them according to the directions on the packs.  I might spend a small fortune next year and buy established plants rather than deal with seeds.  Of course, I can thank Rocky for destroying a lot of what I planted.  Now I have fencing all around the garden plots, courtesy of Donald.

Speaking of Rocky, I've taken him for a short walk, about 3 or 4 blocks, for the last few days.  We both miss the exercise and it doesn't seem to make his limp any worse.  The vet told me he is overweight, but she also wants him to "stay quiet".  I think he got way more exercise when we lived in the mobile home park, and of course, it helped me as well.  So we are going to take a short walk each day for a week or so and see how we both feel about it! 

Our weather has been so beautiful and cool.  I'm actually wearing sweat pants and a sweatshirt today and am comfortable.  I think we will be going back up to the 80 mark for several days and then back down to the 70's for a while.  It's so nice to have doors and windows open, and no a/c necessary.  Rocky loves to look out the front door and I hate closing it on him so we can run the a/c.

Since I mentioned I'm in the doldrums, I think it is because I can't drive.  I need to go so many places - all nearby - for things like shopping, haircut, etc., and it's such a hassle to ask Donald to take me so I just don't go until I can't wait any longer.  Being stuck at home I have no opportunity to see and chat with others, and it's a damn lonely existence.

11 comments:

  1. All I can offer is that I know the names and a little about several of the neighbors just because I walk our dogs. People out taking care of lawns, or getting out of a vehicle, or, walking their dogs. So, maybe if you continue with that, you will meet a few neighbors. I can certainly sympathize with your situation, Don't know what I would do without my occasional trips to Walmart, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was taking Rocky out for walks a couple of times a day, but since the vet told me to keep him quiet because of his limp I've avoided going out for walks. That is going to change now - just short walks to start. They complain about him being overweight, but that's what happens when you can't do some sort of exercise. I'm a few pounds heavier myself, but dang, it's all in the belly!

      Delete
  2. So sorry you are feeling in the doldrums, it is NO fun!!! for sure! I wanted to provide you with some comments and know that we are out here and interested in your puttering :) That is what i do, putter. i don;t know how i ever got anything done when i was working, i must have been more organized or alot faster!!! Have the dog, too, to get me up out of my chair. in and out that is life. I read, crochet, work in the yard, altho that is ramping down now... pulling dead things out, Make cards, have even been sending them to people, as they don't do much good in a box! We are getting very cold lately and there is snow in the mountains, we are at 3000' and weatherman threatened snow down here later last week, but onky got a little spat of it... all the rest feel in the mtns. The Cascades catch most of the rain/snow/weather and we mainly remain high and dry... sometimes it rains, but not for long lengths of time, like in the valley, which is a good thing...
    My pups has crawled up beside me again, she is a little warm heartbeat at my side.
    Hope things look up for you, Take Care and God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember, are you in N. California or S. Oregon? I always loved exploring that area. We have gotten a few sprinkles but no real rainfall to speak of - it usually comes later on in the year or the early part of next year.

      I woke up in the middle of the night and felt my dog's face up against mine. That is such a sweet feeling!

      I do enjoy picking my granddaughter up from school and walking her back to my house - she has volleyball and other sports some afternoons so her dad picks her up. The two girls and their dad (Donald) usually spend an hour or so with me most afternoons, and it's a happy part of my day!

      Delete
  3. I think the vet ment for Rocky to not run and jump. A nice slow walk should be fine and your right how will he lose weight if he doesn't do anything.

    You probably need to be on thyroid meds. call you Drs. office and ask them to include that test when you go do your labs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to keep him at a slower paced walk. He usually is so eager to walk fast, so I'm trying to go easy. I really don't have a doctor since I've moved, although I could go back to the clinic I used to visit. I didn't like that doctor though.

      It's ironic that I have a dog who needs to slow down, while I need to speed up!

      Delete
  4. While I have never taken an Uber or a Lyft perhaps you can look into that and have a source of getting around without having to involve your family...though I am sure they have no problem driving you to where you need to go.

    This evening I saw in the news that gasoline in California is creeping to the five dollar mark. If it wasn't because I need my car for medical appointments and trips out-of-town I would give up on driving.

    So glad to hear you are enjoying wonderful temperatures. We are still in the high 90's with heat indexes in the low 100's :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my own experience I hope you never have to give up on driving. One of my sisters always uses Uber. I am of the old school, and don't feel comfortable getting into a car with a man I don't know. I never even liked taxis, and had a horrible experience once with a taxi driver in the Washington DC area. Haven't used one since!

      Delete
  5. Ask your oncologist to run a panel (including thyroid) when you go to the Lab. He should do this for you (mine does) and this will show which areas you might be high or low in. Is it possible to get the prescription for the thyroid med refilled and started before you get a new GP doctor?

    If your weather has been a little cooler, it is possible that is why your seeds have not started to germinate.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent a msg to my oncologist asking her to include the thyroid along with all the other tests she wants done. I'd prefer to never have to go to another GP. As for the seeds, I just about give up, but will see if anything comes up in the next 2-3 weeks. We have very chilly nights even when the daytime temps are warm.

      Delete
  6. When I plant seeds in the spring it sometimes takes 2-3 weeks for them to germinate. I sometimes plant them a week or two apart so they don't all mature at the same time. Once they pop up they grow pretty rapidly. Hope that helps you some.

    ReplyDelete