Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Questions

I have a few.  For any gardeners out there, can you tell me if I need to stake and tie up pea plants?  My plants are growing well, but I really am not sure how tall they will get or anything about them.  I had a seed packet and took out half the seeds for myself, giving the rest of them along with the packet to Ara.  So now I'm really not sure how to handle them, and don't find much help from the internet.  Thanks to anyone who has some advice about growing these plants.

Another question is for dog owners, particularly those with labs.  I just walked Rocky for about 4 blocks, and I want him to match my pace and to heel.  He wants to keep his head to the ground and sniff everything, and in his excitement he wants to pull me along at the pace he prefers.  By the halfway point in our walk he settled down pretty well to my pace, but he certainly isn't very disciplined.  I think part of it is his natural puppy disposition, and I certainly don't want to mess with that.  It is such a joy to try to see the world through his eyes, although I think most of what he knows about the world is through his nose!  He is so big and bold, but got his comeuppance when the garbage truck rolled by.  Rocky crouched in terror as far away as his leash would permit.  Unfortunately, this entire neighborhood as well as those surrounding it, have no sidewalks.  The property owners want to retain the "rural" nature although it is certainly no longer rural.  I'd vote for sidewalks and pavement that isn't cracked or buckled up.  It's no longer a joy for me to go walking with Rocky or on my own.  I miss my old neighborhood for things like that.  I seem to have  lost my original question, which is:  should I be more strict with Rocky, or should I hold off until he has a few more months under his collar?  He is very good about some things, like coming when called, but with others the little devil in his head distracts him completely.

My last question for now is about food, specifically, lentils.  I have never eaten them in my life, but have decided to try them and bought some red lentils.  There are many youtube videos that feature cooking with lentils, but most are of recipes with a Asian accent.  As I grow older I find myself returning to the foods I ate as a child - seasoned, but not too strongly, and certainly not highly spicy.  So I'm basically looking for a way to eat this grain (I think it is categorized as a grain).  Any recommendations will be appreciated.  My mom's cooking was southern, but she learned to like the German influence of my dad's sisters' cooking, so mom's was a great mix of those two cuisines.  Seasoned well but not too spicy.

I am trying to load photos into my blog, but it rarely works out.  I use my cellphone and the option to forward a photo to my email account, but nothing ever appears.  Of course you might note that once in a while I can post a picture and I have no idea how it happens or what I might have done differently.  My personal opinion is that smart phones are too smart for many of the people using them.  And who wants to be outsmarted by a phone - either a smart or stupid phone!

12 comments:

  1. Lentils are a legume. I like mine with pork or beef, onion, garlic, peppers, carrots, tomatoes and mixed herbs. I like Indian cuisine so I sometimes add in turmeric, garam masala.

    Personal opinion on pet training - it starts the moment they walk in the door. If you don't like him pulling on his leash and want him to walk beside you. I'd insist upon it.

    Peas - all the peas I have grow needed something to climb on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding the peas, I wonder if I could use the tomato cages for them. I also have stakes. I'll have to figure out something.

    Regarding walking with Rocky - he is getting better all the time - I try to let him have certain places where he can sniff and nose around, but when we are walking I'd like him to heel. I was supposed to stop walking him when he began limping a month or so ago. Now I want to walk him again and it will take some getting used to for both of us. He learns fast though.

    Thanks for the comment about the lentils. I will try them with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry - I will try them with the ingredients you mention, although minus the Indian spices.

      Delete
    2. I'm looking forward to trying them. Glad for the info about the tomato cages, and thank you. I need to do more research on lentils, but I believe I've heard they are very high in nutrients, When the cost of meat goes so high that people can't afford it, then it would be wise to have a nutritious substitute. Also with the power outages in California, I've gotten to thinking about foods that don't require refrigeration. I already have camping equipment to cook on if necessary.

      Delete
  3. I have a great easy healthy recipe for lentils, Tomatoes, lentil, garlic, spinach & some spices. I have one serving & enjoy a toasted English muffin with it, then freeze a couple servings for later. Can e-mail recipe if you want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have the recipe:
      mgypsy @ aol dot com. Thank you very much.

      Delete
  4. On the lentils just a word of caution they can really expand when they are cooked so maybe cut back on the amount according to the directions until you figure out how much you can eat. The store pretty good in the fridge for about a week. Hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for much for this tip. I probably will cook only a small portion at first to see what I think about them.

      Delete
  5. With regards to Rocky pulling and going of ahead of you on the walks. When training our Black Lab, we purchased a choke chain. This is just a plain chain with an "O" ring on one end to loop the chain through to make it a collar. The leash is then hooked to the "O" ring. When walking and the dog starts to pull ahead, etc., you jerk the leash and say heel. By doing this the chain tightens a bit (does not hurt the dog) and the dog soon learns that they need to walk at your pace. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a choke chain quite a while back. I think the last time I looked at it, Rocky had grown so much that it didn't look like it would fit. I then got an e-collar, and usually when I put it on him he quiets down. I let him see me put the control into my pocket and he usually behaves pretty well. If I ever have to use it I only use the vibrate function, not the shock.

      I'm really encouraged at how well he is responding to the "come" command, even when he is loose and obviously wants to wander but always comes when I give him that command. He gets better at it every day, so I'm hopeful he is going to be easier to train in the next 6 months. I always heard that a lab takes at least 2 years to mature, and some take longer. I love the puppy stage, so I try to be patient when he overdoes it!

      Delete
  6. Sorry that I can not offer advice on the three topics on your blog today. I thought the gentlemen that was walking Rocky when you lived in your former place had taught him to heel.

    I too have been having a lot of problems today with my smart phone will not let me upload pictures to my blog or edit them in my computer. I am obviously too dumb for my phone :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think you and I are too smart for our phones (we don't let them run our lives). Rocky behaved very well when Andrew walked him. I decided yesterday that, doggone it, he's going to walk as well for me. Even for Andrew though, Rocky wasn't that great going out the door. Andrew let him settle down and wouldn't move forward until he began to listen.

      Delete