Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

What a difference !

The swamp cooler has my house feeling so comfortable, much more so than in other years.  I can only figure it's the windows contributing to the wonderful inside temps.  I'm told you need to leave one or two windows cracked when using a swamp cooler, and whatever the reason I'm cool as can be and very happy!

Jeannie & Donald are with Autumn on a field trip this week - last week they were with Arianna on her field trip.  So the whole time Ara is staying at their house to be with the left-home child!  It has been a problem with Arianna because Ara has to be at work so early, so this morning I drove to their house, followed them in my car to the school, and then stayed with Arianna for about half an hour until school started.  Autumn is in band which practices early in the morning, so there wasn't a problem arriving at school early during her week at home.

I have been to their school many times although mostly riding in their car.  I followed Ara this morning but when it came time to return home I turned left on a street where I should have turned right.  I wasn't sure of my mistake until I had driven a good distance in unfamiliar territory, but finally got myself turned around and back home.  I wanted to cry, but I won't let myself do that.  A few people honked their horns at me this morning.  (I didn't drive Arianna to school myself, which would have been the most logical, because I will no longer drive a child anywhere unless it's an emergency - not with my deteriorating vision.)

Knowing how Arianna loves pork, I bought a big container of pork carnitas which we will have for dinner this evening (I'm joining them).  And because she has so many food allergies and can't eat anything with dairy, I bought a coconut-milk-based  ice cream for dessert!  I won't touch anything coconut, but it's for her and not for me.  I'm just looking forward to the carnitas with rice and maybe a corn tortilla or two.

I took my Serengeti's to the eyeglass repair shop, and for $58.50 they will be repaired by this afternoon.  I'm willing to pay that much because it would cost me over double that amount to replace them, if I could even find some like them in that brand.  I don't think they will ever be like the originals, but I'm hoping they will be comfortable enough to wear this summer.   The nice thing about the lenses is that they have more of an amber tint which lightens my view considerably, and which is really important for someone with mac degeneration.   

And speaking of macular degeneration, I know my driving days are numbered.   When I got lost this morning I was wishing I had a GPS that worked.  I have two, neither of which has enough storage to hold billions of "Points of Interest", which are mainly retail establishments.   That is overkill if you ask me.

And before anyone suggests I get a smart phone for the GPS feature, I want to say I've ridden with many people who use that type of GPS, and their phones are constantly held in their hands so they can refer to them.  At least with a dash or window mounted unit I could take a quick glance at it.  As it is, I was telling my son this morning that if I'm going to turn right 8 miles ahead, I drive the entire distance in the right lane so I don't have to ultimately change lanes.  That's how limited I am with taking my eyes off the road.  When I'm following someone who is driving, such as my granddaughter this morning, they automatically drive in the lane with the least traffic because it's much easier for them to get over at the last minute, whereas it's nearly impossible for me.   So a phone in my hand while I'm driving could be deadly!

With the high temps in the house yesterday my fan quit working.  The light still comes on when I turn it on, but nothing happens.  So this morning I made a quick trip to Walmart to buy another large fan.  Unfortunately, it is on a stand and I have to assemble it, but as cool as it is right now I don't need it.  I don't think there is a whole lot of assembly required, but it's more than what I would like to do.   I think cooler temperatures are heading our way by the weekend, and it will stay cool for a week or two with some rain possible.  I wish we could enjoy rain throughout the year rather than just winter/spring and then arid for the rest of the time.   One of my kids came home from school years ago with a saying I had never heard:  "You take what you get, and you don't pitch a fit!"  

10 comments:

  1. Well you've been quite busy with your Ara and Arianna and your glasses. Sounds like you did quite well. I think you are too hard on yourself. Glad to hear the swamp cooler is doing the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that for an old gal I've been quite busy, although a younger person would get bored feeling like there was nothing to do! I'm going to bed early tonight so I can do a repeat of this morning's drive to school and back. I'm going to write down the directions ahead of time and whether I turn right or left. I'll just have to remember to reverse it on the way back!

      Delete
  2. I bet the kids can get you to the school then its up to you to find your way home. But maybe since you drive them tomorrow you will remember which way to turn. My phone isn't very fancy but it does have a GPS and a voice to give you directions. So did the GPS I had stolen. Of course I replaced it and have never used it because I couldn't figure the darn thing out. What a waste of money that was.
    The reason you leave something opened a bit with the cooler is to push the warmer air out or something like that but it sure makes it work better.
    Hope your glasses will be to your satisfaction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The past 2 days I follow Ara over to school, who is driving Arianna in her car. In all good conscience I just can't drive children anymore, unless in case of absolute emergency. I wrote the directions down ahead of time and did fine - so easy I should never have gotten lost yesterday.

      I love the sunglasses - perfect comfortable fit just as they always were.

      Delete
  3. I have a dash mount for my phone...it talks to me telling me in plenty of time when to turn...and I also look before taking of so I know what I am going...I do not do well holding phone while driving either..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea, and with the size of some iPhones, it would be a larger screen than most GPS. I don't have an iPhone though, and won't be getting one.

      I had no problem this morning with driving home from Arianna's school. I should have confirmed the route yesterday before Ara left. This morning I wrote it down and it's so easy I can't believe how I messed it up yesterday. I'm doing things like that lately which I can only attribute to getting older, although I hope my mind is still sharp.

      Delete
  4. I had a Garman back when I was traveling a lot. Worked for me and since I am known for going the wrong way in a one red-light town, I needed it. It also made it easier when I was working to find my customers' locations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 1st Garmin was wonderful but eventually they told me I didn't have enough memory for updates. So I bought another one that was awful, and soon I was told I couldn't update it because of too little memory. The 3rd one I bought was a piece of crap. I think Garmin's quality nosedived when everyone began using their smartphones as GPS. I've thought of getting a Tom Tom but it's more expensive and I don't know if it would be any better. Now I don't drive enough to warrant fooling with one.

      Delete
  5. I am glad you were able to get your sunglasses fixed. I checked out the Amazon link one of your readers left on your blog...they are pretty but so pricey for my budget.

    As you know I am very technologically challenged so could never be able to figure out a GPS. When I have to take mother to a new doctor or hotel in San Antonio I go online and get the directions and then write them in big letters on cardboard (cereal boxes). I also do a reverse search so I can get back without having to figure it out on my own and in heavy traffic.

    Glad you figured out that chocolate was the culprit causing your heartburn. You are a good food detective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I are alike for getting directions and writing them down for going as well as coming back! I need to start saving cardboard as it would be much easier to read than a small piece of paper. If I take any type of trip (which I don't do anymore) I used to write directions on a large sheet of paper with black markers.

      It is being able to adapt to changing conditions and health that keep us young and smart!

      Delete