Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, May 15, 2017

My Mother's Day

I was surprised when my doorbell rang yesterday morning and even more surprised to see a delivery-man holding a beautiful arrangement of fruit.  I should have taken the wrapping off before photographing it, but here is the way I received it:  (Click to enlarge)


The photo doesn't do it justice, and I should have taken the wrapping off before taking the picture.  Many different kinds of fruit - pineapple, cantaloupe, honeydew, grapes, strawberries, chocolate, etc., in a bed of kale, the curly kind.  It looks like flowers in a bed of beautiful grass.   Mike, Sandy & the boys sent it to me, and I really appreciate it more than anything I could have gotten.  Also, I cropped the photo so I would get rid of a lot of the clutter on that table.  I apologize because it looks terrible, but the cropped photo didn't appear in the blog!

Ara came by to pick me up as we were invited to dinner at Jeannie's.  She brought me a bouquet of very pretty flowers, and then we went on to our destination.  Donald cooked a wonderful steak, baked potato (he also fixed sweet potatoes but I prefer the white ones), corn on the cob, and asparagus.  He also gave me a box of chocolate covered and decorated strawberries.  I shared some of the fruit later on, and the kids each packed a small container to take to school today for their lunches. 

I felt wonderful after eating that delicious meal, and slept very well last night.   And it was nice this morning to have a different variety of fruit for my breakfast.

I have a whole week ahead of me with nothing on my calendar, and that feels so good. Of course things will come along and that will change, but as of this Monday morning I feel like my time is my very own.  All I need to do today is go to the gym for about half an hour to use the treadmill.

I'm beginning to research what I should and shouldn't eat on a gluten free diet, which I plan to start in the near future.  It's all so confusing, and if any readers follow such a diet, I'd love to hear from you with suggestions about what foods you eat, things to watch out for, etc.  Just anything at all that might be a help to me.  You can either leave me a comment on this blog, or write me an email at the address shown above under the header picture.  Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, etc.   

(I'm going to try a new way of eating in hopes of counteracting the indigestion I've been getting that is associated with thyroid problems.   I'll give it time and if it works, then fine; if it doesn't work then I'll try something else.)  

I need to get dressed and to the gym, so I will wish everyone a wonderful week ahead.  Life is good, even with all the setbacks we have.

5 comments:

  1. There are several ways to go on the gluten free route. I went with almond flour for the most part for a couple of reasons. One) I'm a diabetic; and two) I allergic to the casein protein in milk so I use almond or cashew milk. I make my own milks (I know exactly what's in them.) and with almond milk you need to strain it. I had all that almond pulp left over and I was not going to throw out. If you dry it and run it through the food processor you have almond flour that works nicely with the recipes from Elana Pantry (https://elanaspantry.com/)

    The other is to use a combination of things like millet, sorghum, buckwheat, rice flour, corn starch, potato starch, tapioca starch and a lot of them have gums in them to duplicate the gluten. Be forewarned that some people have issues with the gums. I found this recipe (6 parts rice flour, 2 parts potato flour, 1 part tapioca flour) on a web site that I don't remember where. She said getting your ingredients at the local Asian market was the most cost effective way to do it. My problem with using these types of flour too much is a blood sugar spike so they were used rarely or I used them as coatings for things we wanted fried.

    If you don't eat a lot of bread or do a lot of baking then buying a loaf of bread at the local whole foods stores might be your best bet. Just getting out on the web and doing some reading and research could be your best bet. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy thank you for your response and suggestions. I love bread but have been avoiding it - I understand that Costco has a gluten-free bread now so I might try it.

      How interesting that you make your own almond milk, and what a great way to make the flour! I recently bought a small pkg of Bob's Red Mill baking flour that is wheat, dairy and gluten free. The ingredients are listed as Sweet White Rice Flour, Whole Grain Brown Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Whole Grain Sweet White Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Flour, and Xanthan Gum. I haven't tried it yet as I don't bake a lot any more, but there is a blueberry muffin recipe on the package I want to try.

      This is going to be so difficult for me as I have never been on any kind of diet and really don't know where to start or how to do it. There is a system or a trick to it, I'm sure, but for a 76 yr old who has just eaten what she felt like for all those years, it's a huge problem.

      Delete
  2. You had a great Mothers Day and the basket of fruit is wonderful. Another fantastic meal cooked by Donald.
    Trying to follow these diets is so hard. One site tells you one thing then when you go to another site the information is totally different so I just try the ones that sound good to me.

    ReplyDelete