Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Heating Up!

I guess the weather has played with us long enough and we seem to be getting into a heating-up phase.  Can't say I'm crazy about it.

I just ate lunch (actually dinner) and had fish in place of the pork & beef I've been enjoying.  I love fish and hope I don't get any negative reactions from it.  I'm still happy with the bread.  I can only think that my increased energy is due to eating bacon & eggs for breakfast, and way more meat than I'm used to for dinner.  The energy still hasn't translated into doing much-needed housecleaning, but I'll be patient and wait for the urge to hit me!

There is an urban ag project across from the local high school, and tomorrow they will be having an event called "Soil Born Day on the Farm".  Ara and I are going to meet Steve and his family there.  I've been there before as they do sell some organic produce, but didn't find what I was looking for.  This was several years ago and it will be interesting to see if and how it's been developed, and what the actual event is about.

Ara would love nothing better than to live on a farm (she thinks) and is interested in growing her own food and herbs, so this should be of special interest to her as they have workshops planned for urban gardening.  She wants my old windows to try to build a small greenhouse, although how to do it hasn't been figured out yet.  I sure can't figure it because the glass is encased in the jalousie type windows, which could be useful for ventilating the greenhouse.  How to build it is the big question now.  The windows are propped against the back of my house but that can only last so long before they tell me I have to remove them.  

Having spent many summers visiting my grandparents' farm in southwestern KY, I always thought I would like to live on a farm, but a kid can ride a horse most of a day and get away with it.  If you are the farmer or his children, you have work to do!  My grandparents still had teens at home - they always arranged for me to help with the milking, although I usually got more on my legs than in the bucket!  I also loved to gather the eggs but was always wary of the rooster.  He attacked my Mom one day and it was so bad we had him for dinner that evening!  This particular rooster had never shown any aggression before the incident, but it made me afraid of roosters.  

Most of my memories of those times on the farm are absolutely wonderful.  My Mom let me go every summer as a reward for having to help with the little kids and work around the house.  I was the oldest and the only girl.  The family would drive and pick me up at my Dad's vacation time.  I was always happy to see them for the first few minutes, but knew it was just so long before I was back to the drudgery of being the oldest and only girl in the family.

Do I take a nap or not?  Twenty minutes, maybe?  If I don't I'll soon be in the kitchen looking for something to snack on, even after eating a perfectly filling dinner!

11 comments:

  1. I love gardening, however, my knees don't any more.

    Lots of greenhouse plans and ideas on the web. She needs to measure up the windows and build a frame to fit the windows. Graph paper is great for simple mechanical drawings and helping to get a materials list together. The ends could be plastic or fiberglass panels.

    I have found having an egg for breakfast satisfy my appetite for longest period of time. Usually, I have it scrambled and loaded with veggies on a slice of toast. If you are still hungry after eating what you know to be a proper meal then I bet you are lacking in some vitamin or mineral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked at greenhouses online and sent her some websites. Now it's up to her.

      I am always ravenous in the morning and eat something every couple of hours, although the bacon and eggs are really filling and I don't want anything until lunch/dinner. The snacking is a bad habit I got into and is hard to break. My brain is screaming "give me chocolate!"

      Delete
    2. If you crave chocolate you may be deficient in magnesium and some antioxidants as well as some neurotransmitters.

      Delete
  2. Oldest and only girl in the family does sound like a lot of work. Tell Ara if she wants to move to Virginia she can live in our farmhouse and garden to her heart's content. The raised beds are still there and so are some of the fruit trees and the bushes and a grape arbor that needs pruning. She only has to put up with us for the few weeks we are around during the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will tell her, and thank you very much. She misses the east, and specifically Pennsylvania, but needed to be around her family at least for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since Janet posted a very interesting comment on yesterday's post, and since most people won't see it, I am copying it here. It is rather long, but informative if you are experiencing the difficulties in diet that I am. Here is Janet's comment:

    JanetMay 20, 2017 at 8:06 PM

    My husband and I tried gluten free for a year and it didn't make much difference for us. I am very particularly fond of the Vitaspelt White flour we use a lot.

    We like Sprouted Ezekiel bread, spelt bread and sourdough breads. The fermentation of the sourdough is supposed to use up most of the gluten. I have been experimenting with all of them and don't seem to have a problem. I make sure everything is grown organically.

    My MIL is a true celiac and has avoided all gluten for the past thirty years or so and has become a really good cook over the years. She is healthy and in her 80's and avoids all grains.

    Have you heard of einkorn flour? I have been using it recently to make banana bread, pancakes, etc. and it is really good. I use the Jovial brand. Many people who have gluten problems can eat this flour. It is an ancient unhybridized Egyptian wheat and has a rich, nutty flavor. It can now be found in specialty stores and purchased online. I don't like all the starchy gluten free breads and flour blends, etc. and think perhaps they are not good for me either. I avoid all soy as most of it is GMO. I have read the problem with wheat is not GMO, but rather they spray it with glyphosate at harvest time to dry it out and make it faster to harvest. See Dr. Stephanie Seneff's you tubes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could make my own bread and other foods containing flour, but at this stage of my life I just don't have the energy. I'm very much suffering the effects of hypothyroidism, and can barely function some of the time, although the increased amount of meat I'm eating, plus deleting gluten and many fruits such as strawberries from my diet, are making a big difference. I don't know if it will last or continue to improve. This whole thing is just trial and error for me. It will be interesting to see what the endocrinologist says about me doing my own research and experimentation.

      This brings up another point I've been considering: when was the last time any doctor asked you what you eat? Mine might say "don't eat eggs because of cholesterol", (or something similar); "don't drink coffee, switch to tea", etc., but none of them ever want to know what my daily diet is like. If I have a problem they come up with a solution of an RX or OTC pill, no dietary changes or additions. I don't buy that at all, so I do my own research and experimentation, and try to fix myself as much as I can.

      Delete
    2. I apologize for being so wordy Gypsy -- just get carried away. I am with you on doing your own research. I've mostly quit listening to the latest fad advice and eat whatever I want as long as the food is clean and I can afford it (and I feel like fixing it and can digest it).

      Delete
    3. No one should ever apologize to me for being wordy, as I sometimes am the world's worst. My rising sign of Gemini makes me love to talk and love to write, although I am a fairly shy person. You are so smart to quit following every new thing that comes along. There is no consensus in anything, which means you just try to learn what you can and then do what works for you.

      Delete
  5. "What works for you" is a key as we are all different.

    ReplyDelete