Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Korea

I've been corresponding off-blog about being in South Korea, with someone  who reads my blog but can't seem to leave a comment for a reason only Google knows, and who was there years ago while in the military.  (I can't believe I wrote that sentence, and can't believe I'm going to leave it as is!)  I found a post I wrote about a year ago with some of the photos I took while there.  Here is a link to the post about Korea:

https://gypsy97.blogspot.com/2012/01/and-on-to-korea.html#comment-form

Any former military who were stationed in S.Korea during the 1950's through the current time will probably have their own pictures and stories.  I'd love to hear them and see your pictures.  If you can't leave them in the comments section, please feel free to email me at the address shown above (just below the header picture).

This morning I've been doing a little much needed cleaning including the bathroom.  It is a small room and I can only do the floor on my hands and knees.  It's difficult to get down, but even worse trying to get back up.  I'm taking a well-deserved break right now.

Yesterday it got quite warm in the house and I was uncomfortable when I realized, "Duh, just turn on the swamp cooler!"  By then it was getting late and I didn't want to bother with the cooler, but today is going to be even warmer and you can bet I'll be using the swamp cooler!

The black-out shades that I bought for the big kitchen window work very well keeping the afternoon sun and heat down.  They don't look too bad and do the job.  I also need something for the front kitchen window.  There was an awful metal awning over that window which was in such bad shape I just threw it out.  My son showed me where it wouldn't have fit over the new window anyway, but I realize I'm going to have to buy a new awning, which I think costs maybe a couple hundred dollars or more.  How I hate to spend that much money on something that doesn't enhance the looks of the house inside or out.  There are enough improvements I could make that would really look nice.  But if I die of heat exhaustion I won't be concerned about that, will I?

13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post about Korea. I just finished a library book you might be interested in. Title is In Order To Live by Yeonmi Park. It is the true story of her escape from North Korea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to read that book. You think of men being able to escape places like that, but rarely women.

      Delete
    2. If you google her name....it will have info on her. She is quite the activist now.
      Was 13 when she and her mom escaped. After I finished the book, I got to see her speech on you Tube and that for me, really brought her story to life.

      Delete
    3. I will do a search for her on YouTube. I read some of the articles online about her escape; I would love to hear her speak.

      Delete
    4. I watched one of her speeches and it is extremely powerful.

      Delete
  2. I know that those curtains really make a difference to block out the sun. And not having the awning is really going to make it hot even with the curtain. The make some nice ones but I have no idea how much they cost probably more than either one of us would want to spend. Hope you find something you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. I would even get the same curtain as I have at the big window, but they were very limited in size - mostly 83' long and I'd need very short ones. I never did like the awnings, and I threw away the one that was at one of my side windows also.

      Delete
    2. I remember watching the news on TV and seeing maps of Korea with all the arrows on it showing troop movement, theirs and ours. We have lived through lots of wars, starting with WW2. Of course I was quite young during WW2. Great post and I followed your link and read your older, very informative blog posting.

      Delete
    3. There must be a lot of companies and people making big money on our being in a constant state of war.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the link to your Korean post, I enjoyed it and the pictures of a country I will probably never be able to see in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I am really grateful for the chance to visit that part of the world, and I really gained a lot of respect for the Korean people.

      Delete
  4. It is just such a shame that human beings can't just get along and stop fighting with each other over what?? North and South Korea should be reunited as the one country they are. I find that the only way I can get any floor really clean is on my hands and knees. Maybe I don't have the right equipment that the pros use but my mops and brooms don't get the corners and tight by the baseboards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I can't see the corners and the baseboard very well I don't worry much about it! There is an upside to everything

      Delete