Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Beat Goes On!

I sort of grew to like 2016, and tomorrow (a leap second late) we will be into 2017.   I wish everyone the best life can offer during the coming year.

I will hope to see an end to the constant requests for money at year's end so whatever organization/charity it is can meet their goal.  I really dislike the ones that send a large packet of calendars, return address labels, pocket planners, etc.  Some of the stuff is pretty decent but I don't want to  use it without paying something, even though I didn't request it, so usually end up throwing it all out.   I got some very nice stuff from one charity that suggested donations in varying amounts, beginning with $5.  I decided I will use the return envelope and cut all my info out of the accompanying card that identifies me. and send a $5 bill.   They are lucky everything is not landing in the trash and that they get $5!

I don't want to begin the new year complaining, but I suppose this is sort of ending the old year complaining!  Mostly I'm happy about everything.

I am NOT going to get a dog.  The organization offered me an opportunity to take one of their dogs for 10 days, they would deliver him to my house and bring all the food he needs.  At the end of 10 days I could make up my mind.  I thought long and hard about it, but the dog is a mix and I'm not at all familiar with one half of the mix.  He is 6 yrs old which means we would probably reach the end of our days together, or relatively close.  I just decided if I can't have what I really want, I'm not going to get a dog at all.  I wish I could rent-a-dog to go camping with me in the summer though. 

I notice I'm spending more and more time in my studio/catchall room with the big wall maps, thinking about where I might like to do some camping.  It would be in Northern CA or maybe Southern Oregon,   I'll probably find myself back at Lassen for a couple of days for old time's sake.

The 2+ miles I'm walking nearly every day sure has me worn out afterward.  I would think it would get easier but so far it's just tiring.   I'm determined to keep it up for as long as I can.   Some of the equipment there leaves a lot to be desired and needs a good servicing - one treadmill in particular that I often walk on has a feature to check your heart rate.  I'm usually around 100 when I start, and not much over 120 when I finish.  Imagine my surprise when I stepped on the machine and after beginning the walk I used the heart rate  feature - the reading was 183!  I knew that was incorrect because I wouldn't be walking on the treadmill if it was that high.  There's no way I wouldn't realize something is wrong.  I took it again various times throughout my walk and it did settle down to the 130's, but still much higher than usual.    I should have come home and checked it with my own monitor, but I was totally unconcerned so I forgot about it.   I refuse to be a obsessed with those or any other numbers.

After writing the above I got curious and got out my BP monitor:  
123/63; HR 81.  I think that is pretty good, and I'll let it go at that.

I will get back to painting pretty soon.  With the potential for me adopting a dog I have tried to clean up the paint and supplies - no dog, but at least my living room and studio look a little neater.  I have a long ways to go before I can say they look good!

Happy New Year to everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Yiur BP sounds almost perfect. Glad to hear someone say they liked 2016. I hated it and so did nearly everyone I know. I don't usually hate a year but this one just seemed to have one bad thing after anither. Hope 2017 is much better. Happy New year to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there were things that happened in 2016 that I didn't like, but for the most part I've had a pretty happy life. Watched my grandchildren grow and added one more to the group, seen my kids advance in their careers and do well in family life, etc. Peace and contentment come from within, and no politician or religious figure is going to hand you anything except if it advances their motives. I try to not dwell on that part because for the most part I am at peace and am very contented (well, I would be more contented if I had enough energy to deal with a puppy! :-)

      Delete
  2. I feel the same way about all these charities if they stopped sending all that stuff and leave to money in the charity funds they would be that much further ahead. And like you I feel bad to use it so I throw it away.Such a waste of money.

    Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you contribute to anything I think they share you name with other charities. I've really been hit this winter by all the begging.

      Delete
  3. You have great blood pressure readings, I have to take drugs to get it to that level and even then if I miss one pill, it shoots up.

    I used to contribute to various entities but quickly found out that they share your information with other charities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe the Dr. had me on blood pressure meds several years ago, and then of course I had to take other meds to combat the side effects. This is my regular blood pressure with no meds and I would never go back to them, even if it rises a little.

      The charities seem to be bringing on their own downfall sharing names and data of contributors, but I guess it works because they all do it. I hate putting cash in an envelope, even only $5, but that's the only way they are going to get it. I just hope the mail opener doesn't slip it in their pocket.

      Delete