Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, December 19, 2016

Ready to Shop!

I'm picking Jeannie up when she gets off work, and we are going to do a little shopping.  I don't have much - mainly for the Secret Santa family adult gift exchange, and just one or two others.   

After a trip to the chiropractor this morning I stopped at the gym that I used to work out with Donald & Jeannie.   I really like it better than the one nearer to me, but the difference in the time and miles to get there keeps me from going except when I'm in the area to begin with.  I only walked 1.25 miles this morning - I needed a break after the 3+ mile walk yesterday.  After that workout I found I wasn't sleepy and felt really wired, up until close to midnight when I decided to just go to bed.  I slept really well.  I notice a few issues I've been having for a year and a half are starting to improve with the extended walking.

I wish I could translate my energy into doing a good cleaning job in my house.  I cleaned all the crumbs around and under my chair, washed the inside of my front car window, and that's about it.   I noticed while driving against the lights last week I couldn't see a thing through my dirty windshield.  It will probably still look smeared, but it's too cold to stay out there long.  I also cleaned the Tiffany lamp a bit.  It's going to sit where I left it until after New Years.  I need some more money, for one thing.

I think I'm going to look for a decent recliner for myself after Christmas when there will hopefully be some sales.  I can't spend a lot of money on one, and an upholstered chair rather than leather is fine with me.  I just want something I can lean back in (or sit straight up) and a footrest that I can pop up when I want to put my feet up.

Does anyone make New Year's resolutions any more?  It seems like a waste of time to me, although I am going to resolve to get back to sorting photographs.   Rather than buy a whole bunch of albums, I think I will sort them as best as I can and put them into the photo boxes I bought when I started this.  The trouble with those boxes is that they don't hold the photos in an upright position, and I still need to come up with a reasonable solution that I can use (and be able to find a photo I'm looking for).   

I've been thinking about one of my favorite things to do, and that is TRAVEL!   I'd love to go back to NY this coming spring, but I hate that plane ride.  Worse than being on the plane for so long is the transfer at O'Hare - I barely have 15 minutes to run between two or three terminals to catch my connecting flight, whereas upon return to CA I have a 5 hour layover!   I do have the alternative to fly into LaGuardia or JFK, but that  makes it so much more difficult for someone to pick me up.  My son doesn't live close to either one.   But driving involves sitting for days on end, with no doggie to keep me company.  I've been thinking about the many times we've driven along a deserted state highway in places like Montana, and stopped to stretch our legs.  Invariably a herd of cows comes over to investigate, and of course I talk to them.  Cows are more intelligent than people give them credit for, but I am beginning to think that about all animals.   Do I sound like I have the classic RVer's "hitch itch"?

So there you have my choices:  settle back in a recliner with my feet elevated, or find highways I've never traveled and drive across the country again!

14 comments:

  1. If you want a recliner without spending a fortune, consider the folding zero gravity camp lounge. I love them, the foot rest comes up when you recline, they fold for easy transport so you can take one camping. I bought mine on sale at Walgreens for $39.95. To make it more luxurious, get a lap size comforter for about $10, And you'll be comfortable & cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds worth looking into. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  2. The more you exercise the higher your energy level climbs and sometimes your waistline even recedes.
    Traveling by automobile is the better option just stop more often. Take a few weeks going each way. See those missed adventures.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely my preference, but since I don't drive over about 300 miles a day I spend more on motels. I used to camp along the way, but I had a dog with me then.

      Delete
  3. It's a shame you didn't know someone who would be willing to lend you an older or calm dog (one you could handle on a leash for walkabouts) that you could bring with you on the highway trips, and then bring them back home afterwards. But if you are like me you may just get too attached!
    I agree with Barney, hit the road as long as you can, no matter the speed it takes to get 'there'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would be a real find - a dog I could borrow for traveling and then give back to their owner!

      Delete
  4. You could probably find a nice recliner on "used" websites. That is how we got 4 of them for our rec.room. Two of them were even free, all in excellent conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to find something like that, because I don't have a lot to spend. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  5. I just read Coffee with the Hermit, he posted about one of the first tread mills very interesting.

    I got the hitch itch too, after the holidays are over and I quit being ill or injured going to get my truck back into camping mode. Maybe if you looked into adopting and older dog who is well trained and turned into the shelter because his family either had to move or have passed on. Be sure of the dog's temperment and make sure they understand what your needs are. who knows you may find a perfect or close to a match for both of you. And I remember you also mentioned looking at one of those Little Guy Trailers. Look at my trying to get you all built up here to hit the road. Sorry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a huge part of Central CA, there are rescue orgaizations for most breeds., ie., golden retrievers, labs, shepherds, etc. They snatch dogs up that are brought into the shelters to "save them" from being euthanized. Usually the dogs get fostered, which is better for the dog than lying around in a shelter with bars, but then when you go to adopt an adult dog you are charged usually around $400. You must be vetted, and normally someone comes to your house to make sure you have facilities for a dog, such as a fenced in yard. I look at the lists sometimes, but haven't found anything near what I'm looking for. The animal control shelters have mostly pit bulls and chihuahuas!

      Once you feel that old "hit the road" urge to go camping or just driving anywhere, it's hard to shake it.

      Delete
  6. Definitely sounds like hitch itch. Hope you figure out a way to get on the road again. I used to just curl up in my car's back seat but then I'm only 5' tall. Craigslist might have recliners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craigslist has everything, and I know of so many people who have really struck a bargain with it. I also know there are scammers, and a 76 yr old woman is a good target. I would ask one of my sons to go with me if I was buying a big item, such as a camper or RV, but not for a recliner. They all have so much going on it their lives and I am happy to accept help when I REALLY need it.

      I do have hitch itch - get it every year at least one time or another, but I'll re-think it after the holidays,

      Delete