Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Ah, bliss!

My son Steve came over 1st thing this morning with his son and helper, 2 yr old Liam. Liam had his Black & Decker tool belt with all his tools, and they were ready to get to work. Liam got sidetracked by remembering that Grandma has a big cabinet, at kid's level, stocked with healthy snacks & kids' drinks. It's the first place they all go, and return, and return.

I only had Donald's 6ft stepladder, but Steve was able to hoist himself up onto the roof and check out the situation. He immediately saw what was needed, including a small fitting that I didn't have, so naturally we all hopped into his van for a quick trip to Home Depot. It didn't take long and the swamp cooler was up and running, blowing out incredibly cool air.

He did a few other small jobs while he was here, and we looked at National Forest maps to figure out future camping trips for me, backpacking trips into the wilderness for the guys. We also tried to prioritize future work on the house, beginning with the roof. That can wait for cooler weather however.

I went out to check my mailbox a few minutes ago and can't believe the difference in the outdoors and inside (which my thermometer registers at 83F). I'm going to grill mahi mahi for my dinner and don't look forward to having to go out to light the grill and then to cook.

I'm just so sorry Lady isn't here to enjoy the liveable temperatures, and sorry she had to suffer the heat along with me for so long.

I set up the cot today and tried it out, and I'm going to be perfectly happy with it. Forgot to get pictures before I rolled it back up for storing until my next trip, but it's so easy to work with I will set it up again before long and remember to take a couple of pics. I had thought I would head for the hills on Monday morning, but I think I may wait until all the summer vacationers are back to school and work. There is so much I should be doing around here for now - indoors of course.

13 comments:

  1. Great news! It's good that your house is close enough to your kids that they can help you out. And that they take an interest in your camping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a wise decision waiting until all the kiddies are back to school. Makes a huge difference to the campgrounds & one's piece of mind. In 86 I took my Volkswagon camper van out to Canada's east coast but waited until right after the labor day week-end when all the kids were back in school. Had the campgrounds, scenic look-out spots, & just about everything else all to myself. Best vacation I ever had:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are cool!Getting ready for the next trip is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you have a cooler place to be. So great to have a handy son that's for sure. It's interesting when the tables turn and they begin to take care of us instead of us of them - if we're lucky that is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice that you have help with the house. I am sure the grilled fish will be worth the time in the heat:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet you will be able to sleep better in a cool house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear you have air running in the house. That heat is just so miserable. I wish we could wait until everybody is back in school but we're heading out before Labor Day. Trying to figure out where we can be for Labor Day because I don't want to be out on the roads then. And I'm trying to find someplace that might not attract a lot of families.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great news you have cooling. School has started in many states. Time to head out shortly. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know you are feeling much better now. Even when its humid it still is a blessing to have the air moving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great that they got the swamp cooler working!
    We can't use them here, too humid, so we have to pay for air conditioning.

    Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great that they got the swamp cooler working!
    We can't use them here, too humid, so we have to pay for air conditioning.

    Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  12. If it starts blowing hot air, put ice in the water in the bottom.

    ReplyDelete