Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, July 30, 2012

Walking again

I'm trying to get some regular walking exercise, so have been doing the big loop around the mobile home park. I walked two mornings and then took yesterday off, and resumed again this morning when I got lost toward the end of my walk. One end of the park is easy with streets in a grid (although the grid is more of an elongated "X" shape rather than squared. The south end is curvy and that is usually where I have to think. It really doesn't make much difference because all roads eventually lead to home, but I'm trying to keep it to about a mile or so for a while, and I was well over a mile when I figured out where I was.

I'm reading a book on the "Best in Tent Camping in N. CA", but the title is a bit misleading. I want a tent-only campground and those are few and far between. It doesn't make sense for me to be in a wonderful campground but have a big RV's on either side of me. I'd feel like a squashed bug! This time I'm looking a bit southeast of Sacramento but still considered in the Tahoe area.

I hope nobody takes this as an affront to RVers, since I was one myself for a few years. But in a tent, everything is smaller, lower to the ground, and way more minimal.

My internal clock must have been in perfect sync with Lady's; in the morning I feel like I have to walk, and when it starts getting close to 4:00 pm I wonder if I have time for a nap before taking her for a walk. She had me trained pretty well. I never got to sleep late in the morning so that is why I decided to just do my own walk.

It's 91F at 2:30 and heading for 98 today. I am damn sick and tired of hot weather, so I'm looking at a campground at 7300 feet. In July 1995 a whole lot of snow was dumped in this area and I wouldn't mind if it happened again. Just think - snowbound in July! Lady would love it!

I had such a good supper tonight I think I could die and go to heaven! Baked filet of wild-caught Pacific hake, and a sautee of mushrooms, onions, chard, and spinach. The ice cream is waiting in the freezer.

I'm in a half-packed state right now but will probably leave either tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning. I want to beat the weekend crowds and would leave tomorrow morning except for the darn garbage pickup. Still debating where I will go, but the Sierras in Calaveras County looks good, and I won't have to get on an interstate to drive there.

8 comments:

  1. Way to go. Sure wish I could get up the energy to take a walk every day. Our weather is really almost perfect for walking but I just don't get out there. Don't blame you for wanting to get up higher and cooler. I'm not looking forward to heading back to AZ next month because I know it is still hot down there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just animals that are creatures of habit. Whenever I put Emma in a kennel, I still feel like I should be taking her out at certain times of the day, and at 11:00 at night! Enjoy your camping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were going to hit the road this week but a friend of ours from Pennsylvania flew down to visit her son and grandkids. So we will go later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well good! glad you're not going to wait until next summer to get outta the heat!

    111ยบ today in Little Rock... new record high!

    man oh man

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool, even cold weather sounds like heaven right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't blame you at all for wanting to get to a higher altitude and cooler weather. I sure would if I could. Also don't blame you for looking for tents only. Maybe check for campgrounds with serious RV length limits. Those smaller trailers and class B vans are better neighbors for a tent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://tomstienstra.com/

    When we lived and camped in California, we had a few of Tom Stienstra's camping books and really liked them, but this was over 15 years ago. I just Googled his name, and see that he has a lot of new books out now, and a website to sell them! Look under BOOKS in the top headings. There are a lot of specialized ones for California, but I don't see any titles that say specifically "tents only". There may be sections within each book for that, though. Each book has a detailed description of what it contains. The ones for California Hiking and California Fishing may provide clues to smaller campgrounds amenable to your needs. Shasta and Lassen Camping and Hiking looks promising, too, for your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about Lady. We all have to go through this with our pets unfortunately. I had a thought though-- if you are worried about a pet outliving you why not get an older dog.

    ReplyDelete