Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Just about ready

I've gotten most of my camping gear together and will be ready to leave early tomorrow morning. I told my son I won't know where I'm going until I pull out of the driveway. I'll take my computer and MiFi just in case I get a connection, but they are usually difficult to find in the mountains and away from cities. I don't know how long I'll be gone - up to a week, maybe?

It's driving me crazy not having Lady to talk to. I always made sure I had her food and treats ready by the door so she would know she would be involved in the trip too. I don't think she ever had any separation anxiety, but I always made sure I told her where I was going if she didn't accompany me, and that I would be back. She never seemed to worry as long as I told her something. Of course I am sure she understood every word!

Ara is in Italy now, visiting my brother and s-i-l who bought a villa in Tuscany. Their home base is Florida and they know when to get out of Dodge - all summer. I wouldn't mind spending the summer in the hills of Tuscany either. I think she is still planning to travel in Spain and the Netherlands.

I just looked more closely at the Forest Service site for the campground I have in mind and under the alerts is one for mountain lion sightings nearby. I'm not afraid of black bears, and I think all grizzlies are gone from CA, but mountain lions could cause me some concern. I won't be hiking at dawn or dusk, or with small children, riding a bike alone, and all the other no-no's, so I guess I'm relatively safe. I can't say how much I'm looking forward to this trip, especially after my last one was cut short.

Lastly, I want to say that I don't understand how a formerly well organized person could become so disorganized and sluggish. I didn't even bother with much of a list this time, and the abbreviated one I made has been misplaced so I'm just forgetting about it. Is there anything I would be unable to do without? I have my coffee making stuff together - I might be bothered if I forgot that.

13 comments:

  1. try to relax and enjoy your time out in nature. breathe in the clean air. please do phone someone when you know where your destination should be or is, safety first. love, jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your trip. I look forward to hearing all about your adventures. It's normal to be disconcerted and disorganized for a while--give your mind a rest on your trip.

    Do be careful about Moutain Lions--I'd be more afraid of them than black bears, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the organizing thing. I was always totally organized but as I get older I can't get it together or maybe I just don't care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee IS important; you can't forget to take that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gypsy, I KNOW what you mean about being less organized as we get older! We find ourselves forgetting things much more frequently. The good thing is that we just take it in stride; don't let anything get us all bent out of shape! As long as you have your morning coffee, what else could be all that important?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Long as you have coffee and money/credit cards you can buy whatever you leave behind, after you drink the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Travel safe Gypsy & keep in mind, Lady's spirit will be traveling with you.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I personally think that as we get older we really don't care so much about organization. We know we can survive for a few days without something if we did forget it. Some people might not survive without their coffee though. Guess you've got that covered. Be safe and have a wonderful time. Let your heart heal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe a colorful clip board will help. I bought one and its a little harder to misplace. As long as you have all the makings for your coffee you should be just fine.
    Enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been following for just a little while and feel your pain. My beloved little dog is failing and I know that I too face the inevitable loss. Thank-you for the courage to share with us and have a wonderful adventure. We all have to find our own way through life. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't forget the TENT! I say that,,cause i could.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to hear you are going out for some time in nature. You are going to have such a great time. Though you know it will be different without Lady. You'll just have to start talking to yourself like all the rest of us do.

    Tent, comfy pads to sleep on and water would be the things I want to be sure not to forget. I think as we get older we realize that being so organized isn't all that necessary or worth the stress involved. We are more relaxed about life. Or at least that's my story and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gypsy, I hope you have a wonderful time on this trip. And I hope you do think about getting another dog soon - the company and security at home are so nice to have, but especially when you are camping and walking the trails. Even a little dog like my Katie - she is such a good watch dog and so sweet to have with me.

    I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete