Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Gotta quit spending money!

I have been looking for some type of anti-gravity chair, or even a plain old webbed lounge chair. This morning's trip was to Target, and they had nothing. I think all the stores get stock in the early season and when it's gone, it's gone. My last resort was to Costco, and I found the last anti-gravity chair.

Not content with just getting what I went in there for, I walked past the cameras and bought a new digital for a really low price. I think this model must be phasing out because they are priced low at online stores as well, but I don't mind getting other than the latest and greatest product as the newer & later it is the harder it is to figure out.

I got my Nikon Coolpix around 2007 or 2008, and have noticed that it is sluggish lately. I wanted a digital with a viewfinder, and found the Canon Powershot A1200. After great difficulty getting it out of the packaging, and anyone who shops at Costco will know what I mean, I opened the instruction book and proceeded with the first steps to getting it ready for picture-taking. I'd complain about the instruction book, but then I notice I complain about ALL instruction books so it is possible that it is me! I still wish they would skip some of the ridiculous icons, but this camera seems to have a mix of easy & almost impossible to figure out symbols. The viewfinder window is smaller than the windows on both my film cameras, but I guess I can get used to it though I would prefer it to be just a bit larger.

Here is my first attempt to take pictures with the camera. As anyone familiar with my blog knows, I love maps! I have always wanted some wall maps that I can look at and dream of near and far away places. I recently found a two-pack of laminated wall maps - one of the United States and the other of the World. They are hanging on the wall in my spare room.





At this time of day it is nearly impossible to get a good photo in that room because of the light coming in the window, and the fact that the maps are laminated makes them almost too shiny to photograph well. But hey, it's my first effort with a new and complicated piece of equipment. I haven't been able to figure out how to get the wrist strap attaches to the camera, and the pictures + words of instruction leave me totally in the dark! I've never had a problem attaching a wrist strap to all the cameras I've owned in my life, so why do they make this one so difficult?

14 comments:

  1. That's funny about the strap, I can't get the one on mine, either. I finally gave up for now. I think the slot wasn't slotted so there is nothing for the strap to go 'through'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same camera that you do. It works great but I don't like the way it puts the picture files on the chip. I always take the chip out and copy the picture file I want to my computers. I don't use it very often but bought for the same reason as you, it has a view finder. My old digital camera still gets used the most. The old one fits in my shirt pocket better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our little Canon is getting old and doesn't zoom like it used to but I don't want to give it up. I'll probably hang on to it until it totally dies. I really don't want to learn to use a new camera. I feel the same way about my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as spending the money. You can't take it with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still LOVE my Nikon Coolpix, but there must be something caught in the zoom lens. Every so often, sometimes very often, it freezes and I have to turn it off and then on again. That's a good way to miss good shots! I've learned on-line, though, that it's not cost effective to have it repairs or cleaned, so I'll live with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an older model Power Shot - it's a 630 - and if my kids are using it the pics are fantastic. ME? Not so much. giggle I SUCK at taking pics. Doesn't help that I need bifocals, but don't have them [yet] Ah, what's a girl to do? So please don't look at the pics on my blog as reference for how great those cameras are - unless the pic was taken by Wallene. :) THOSE are awesome.

    I love maps too. I like the older ones tho'. I have one hanging in my bathroom of an old neighborhood in Brooklyn NY - the detail, the colors - it is so cool. Besides which my Mom was born and raised there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh by the way, I have those exact two maps hanging on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't help at all on cameras..but keep the pics coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had to get Kelly to put the strap on my Canon Powershot SX210 a couple years ago. I just didn't have the patience to figure it out or fool with it. I did not get a printed manual with my Canon & had I known that I would not have bought it. Don't like 'on-line' manuals!! Know what you mean by having to read things over & over. Wasn't like that for me years ago..but that was year's ago. Your map photos look fine. I too am a paper map guy & enjoy looking at old familiar roads, trails, highways & towns. Memory lane for sure. Best of luck with the camera & just take your time. Maybe learn one new feature a day & remember, at this age, it all depends on repetition. The more often you use the cam the less you have to keep remembering every time you pick it up. That's the only way I can keep on top of my picture taking too. I take photos every day just to keep my brain alive...:))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love my anti-gravity chair. I too had trouble finding one so I got it on line. Worked out great. Over $50, free shipping.

    I too HATE, with a PASSION, reading manuals. I know I have to read them to get the most for my money but I just wish they wouldn't put so many bells and whistles on things. I don't want them or need them and they are what make things so complicated. I don't want to have to read about them. I just want to do the basics and have it be easy. And there is zero chance I'm even going to try to read the manual if I have to get it on line. Oh boy did you strike a nerve here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the new toys... where is a pic of the new chair??? Wanna see you use the camera on self-timer and take a shot of you relaxing back with a beer in your hand!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You bought a great camera, I love mine and have had it for about 3 yrs.Of course yours is new and improved and must be a 12x. When something is to bright (Iknow this will sound dumb) use your flash. I just learned this myself. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My newest camera came with a printed Quick Start Guide, basically an explanation of the icons on the camera, and a CD with the "regular" manual. Much too difficult to access the CD, so I went online and found the manual in .pdf format and downloaded it. It is now on my computer AND on my Kindle app on the iPad, so I can refer to it without the computer.

    When I come to a snag, I find the page(s) in the .pdf version, and print it out with a font size that is easily read by my tired old eyes. This way I can re-refer to it as often as needed until I have the method firmly entrenched in my brain. It sometimes takes quite a while to sink in, but cuts down on the frustration level.

    I try to limit myself to learning only two or three complicated new things a day, leaving enough unconfused brain cells for remembering the necessary items for that day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have the zero gravity chair and like it there are times when I want to sit striaight so I bought a matching captains chair too. Besides, Angel needs her own chair too.lol.

    ReplyDelete