Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Needless Worry?

Just a quick post to say I think the fawns are ok. Sandy's parents have been here for the past three days, and we have watched the comings and goings of the baby deer with much worry. I think her father figured it out though - the mother was ready to mate and wanted the kids out of the way for a while, so she sent them down the hill to wait in the shade by my car. The two little ones would always go back up the hill alone in late afternoon. They haven't been back today, and Edgar thought he saw them with their mother this morning. So I probably needn't have worried, and I hope the mystery is solved.

3 comments:

  1. I would be really surprised if the mating season has anything to do with it. The rut begins in the fall and fawns are dropped about 7 months later, so from the pictures that I have seen I would think these were conceived sometime in October or November. Cool fall weather is usually a trigger also. Mom probably just sends the fawns down because the close proximity to human activity will discourage predators. So relish your new job as a baby sitter and enjoy the little fellows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JB is right about the rutting season so let's hope his theory about the Mother sending the Fawns down is correct. I always look forward to happy endings.

    ReplyDelete