Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My faithful helper

Other than mentioning her in passing once in a while, I don't often write about my dog. She is so eager to be helpful, and is right now chasing a plate around the kitchen floor. I bought a bag of Wild Alaska sockeye salmon fillets at Costco a few days ago, and this is the second time I've fixed one of them. They are individually wrapped, and the package contains about 10 fillets. Easy to thaw, you can put them in the fridge to thaw or place the wrapped fillet in cold water. I marinate them in olive oil & seasonings for a short time and then bake in the oven.

To say they are delicious would be an understatement. Tonight is the second time I've enjoyed this delectable fish, and the plate was left with the skin and a few odd flakes of salmon, so I set it down on the floor for Lady to clean up. Earlier she had seen me remove a fillet from the package and waited patiently for the job she was sure she had to do - polish the plate, and polish it she did. She was practically drooling while I was eating (and ignoring her), but she's a good girl and doesn't bother me while I'm eating and keeps her distance. As an added bonus she got some of the buttery juice from the fresh spinach, as well as the cheesy remains from the baked potato. I tried not to leave her too much.

I didn't do much today, but finished one of the books I checked out of the library yesterday. It was a fairly large book (although in large print), and I could barely put it down once I started reading it. I'm ready to start on the second book which will probably be more difficult as it is in regular size type.

I'll need to buy half & half tomorrow, so at least I will get out of the house for a bit. It is supposed to rain, and I certainly won't drive far. There are a lot of small items I need to get at KMart or Target, but being that it's close to the end of the month I don't want to spend what money I have left,

9 comments:

  1. A lot of folks don't like their pets around bugging them while they are eating. Yes, it can get annoying at times but I don't mind the guys around the table. I like the excited expressions on their faces. I often have a little Motormouse face about a foot from my plate when I eat in my recliner. We do not normally feed the guys table scraps but occassionaly a piece of this or that will find it's way to the floor & the guys know that......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you and Lady had a great meal

    Travel Safe
    Dawn and Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book you couldn't put down? What's the title? I'm always in the market for a good book.

    Dinner sounds great, no wonder lady liked it.

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sure love to watch and wait during meal times, just hoping for some scraps or the the occasional dropped item. It is amazing how happy they are when they get these small treats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like Lady takes her job seriously. Rusty likes the crust on our bread, but this is all he gets from the table. I'm afraid he does not know the meaning of patience, and starts dancing around as soon as one of us gets a piece of bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kandi just sits and stares at me with her little black eyes, waiting for a bite! She doesn't beg, or jump around, just sits and stare!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angel, too sits and waits, wishing and hoping that something might come her way. Every now and again she gets to "clean a plate", when she doesn't get anything I can hear her at her own bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My two dogs watch me while I am eating, hoping that I will drop something, but know not to do more than that.

    I think in his former starved life my little foster dog was just given scraps because, as soon as he hears me scraping a pot, he will come a-running offering to do it for me.
    I know he had never had any doggie treats, as he wouldn't eat them at first.

    Lady is a good pre-wash cycle.
    Some people can't stand the idea of a dog cleaning a plate, but they will eat a banana without washing it, and wonder why they get sick.
    That banana has been touched by all sorts of people, from the picker in another country, packers, store help, to other customers in the store!
    At least we sanitize the dishes after our dogs.

    Happy Tails, and Trails, Penny,TX

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was squeamish about dogs and plates when I was younger. When I backpacked with my black lab, he and I drank out of the same sierra cup. I always left something in the pot for him to clean up, and washed it in warm water, but of course when you are out in the woods you know things aren't sanitized, but they don't have the bacteria and germs from other people either. I also shared all my snacks with him, including chocolate bars, jerky, etc. My lab was living proof that chocolate won't kill all dogs.

    ReplyDelete