Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

What a mistake I made!

I really dislike updating sotware, but I eventually do it.  I've been getting notices of an update for the Mac operating system and finally decided to do it today.  WHAT A MISTAKE!  They have totally changed their update procedure it seems, and while in the past your computer kept the older version until you deleted it, this doesn't currently seem to be the case.  It looks like I'm stuck.

What don't I like about it?  For one thing Siri is mandatory and can't be deleted from my computer.  Siri is an "assistant", being able to give you the time, weather, etc., plus a myriad of other things you want to know or get help on.  It is a spooky application with a human voice that is listening to you 24/7.  To my knowledge you can't turn it off.  I live alone and don't normally talk to myself, but if my computer is on while I'm on the phone or have visitors, it hears and recalls every word that is spoken.  Instead of being helpful - "Siri, what is the weather forecast for today",- or some other innocent question - I feel it is an invasion of my privacy.  And I can't turn it off or dismantle it.  That isn't right!  And in addition, Siri shares whatever "she" hears with whatever entity "she" serves.  I think Siri is available on Windows also, so it's not limited to  Apple Corp. or Microsoft Windows.  What is higher up than these two computer systems?  I'd like to know.

If I am wrong about this, I'd appreciate it if someone would let me know how to get my older version of the operating system back.  If I had purchased a device called "Time Machine", and if I was diligent in backing up the entire contents of my computer, there might be a fix.  But I'm not diligent in much of anything, least of all backing up my computer.

As I've written lately, I've been going through the "Stay with Apple" vs "Go Back to Windows" dilemma.  I decided I didn't want to learn a new operating system (Windows) so I planned to update some features of my Apple.   Now I'm really confused as to what I should do.  I would hate to get a computer using Windows to find it has the same weird spooky voice listening (and keeping a record of) everything you say while the computer is turned on.  

On another note I will be returning to Sacramento next week, and will be running back and forth between various doctors, labs, etc. for two weeks until my eye surgery.  I am dreading it but I hope it heals fast and that the surgery actually makes an improvement in my eyesight.

Boston was a wonderful experience and I'll write more about it when I get back home and can retrieve the rest of my photos.  Unfortunately the memory card died and I didn't bring the charger along with me.  I don't often take photos these days and forget about planning for it.

8 comments:

  1. I have a Mac Pro and did have a large update recently. Siri is on the computer but I have not activated it. The computer is only on while I use it. I love how fast it is over my Windows computers. I also have a Alexsa device that does listen all the time, but if I am not using it I pull the plug:) There is good and bad to all technology. But after you get use to it, it gets hard to give up:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to give tech devices up once you get used to them. I would like to spend much less time on the computer but since I gave up TV I find I'm using the computer much more. I'm going to try to spend less time on it from now on.

      Delete
  2. In System Preferences, you can turn off "ask Siri" and it will not listen to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that option and I guess it works. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. When I bought my new laptop it naturally came with windows 10, but the Geek squad set it up to run like my 7. But I don't have Siri and surely don't want it. Seems creepy to me to have something like that listening to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I taped over the camera with masking tape a couple of years ago, now have Siri turned off and wonder what I will find next! I think when I get back home I'm going to try to find a basic Windows computer that doesn't have all the extras. I wondered how the Geek Squad works, and maybe I'll try them.

      Delete
  4. My Windows computer came with Microsoft Edge which comes with "Cortana". Since I use Chrome I refuse to activate it or ask it any questions.

    I heard that a couple had Alexa set up at home and that they were discussing kitchen remodeling (or something to that affect) and it recorded and forwarded their conversation to one of their contacts. That to me is an invasion of privacy and very creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really worry about the loss of privacy in so many areas of my life. I hear also that your emails can be read to determmine if they can be of use to certain advertisers. Talk about invasion of privacy!

      Delete