Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, July 19, 2018

What have I got myself in to?

Donald and the girls went with me this morning to Costco, where I bought a Dell Inspiron laptop.  The screen on my Mac is 13" and the one on the Dell is 15.6 (or something like that).  When we got it back to my house and started setting it up I realized what a learning curve I will be going through.  I doubt I'll be very proficient by the time of my surgery so I will be going through the period of recovery without using the computer.  I realize how much better my Apple screen is, but maybe when I can figure out the settings I want and how to keep them that way, I'll be ok.  For a little more money I could have gotten the 17" screen, but I find that my field of vision takes in the 15+" very well, where the 17 is a little larger than I can comfortably see all at once.

The new computer has a touch screen feature which I really didn't want but after using it a few times I realize how much time it can save.   It will take time to get used to but it might be worth it.  In addition I bought a Seagate backup device.  I've always been really lax about backing up my computer, but no more! 

I also disconnected that annoying voice that wants to help me with the computer.   I am not crazy enough yet that I am going to talk to a robotic voice, whether the name is Siri, Cortina, or whatever.   The only times I talk out loud when I'm alone is when I've done something particularly well, and I might say out loud:  "Damn, Marty, you're GOOD!" 

Well folks, that's been my entire day!  I'm really tired and it still isn't dark yet, but I will be in bed about the time the sun goes down.  I have to get an EKG tomorrow morning - Steve is going to take me to the clinic which is only about 15 min. from my house (but 45 min. from his!).  If I don't post tomorrow I will be back the following day.
 

 

12 comments:

  1. Love the header picture. Hope you figure out your new computer so you can have something to do. And yes that talking thing was the first to go on mine computer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. After looking at the Alaska photo for 2 yrs I figured it was time to replace it. I love the Eastern Utah/Western Colorado portion of the Rockies and it looks just like the photo. As soon as I heard that chatty voice on the computer I knew she had to go!

      Delete
  2. Good luck on the EKG. And let me tell you after reading your blogs for quite a few years, that yes Marty, you are damn good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why Diz, that is so sweet of you to say that. I figure if I want to hear someone say I'm good I'm going to have to say it myself!

      Delete
  3. You are braver than I am. I have an 8 year old Dell latitude and am not looking forward to windows 10 or touch screen. HATE typing that way on my phone. Is yours an inspiron?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is an Inspiron. I don't understand why they have evolved to be so complex and difficult to get used to. My first few computers were fairly intuitive but I think they have evolved to be capable of so much "stuff", they are overkill for a lot of folks.

      Delete
  4. I prefer a keyboard and mouse, so I attached both to my laptop and it works well. I actually like Windows 10 after getting used to it. Disconnected voice as soon as I heard it the first time. Just keep on trying and you will be an expert soon ;-) good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not ready to give up yet, but as I mentioned to Sherry, I think it is a case of serious overkill for many people. I like things much more simplified.

      Delete
  5. Patience girl, patience. It took me about three months to figure out my new (now 4 years old) computer. I dread the thought of having to get a new one so hopefully this one hangs in there for me. I hate having devices talk to me. Well, except for the TV. Good luck with the EKG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son in law was surprised that I wanted many of the options deleted from various lists of choices. I just prefer a more streamlined version, and don't want to be bothered with choices I will never ever use. Thanks for the good luck wishes. Lately when I dread any kind of test at all because I want to quit concentrating on health issues!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the new computer. You are a very savvy person and I have full confidence that you will have a short learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am way past my prime! I turned it on yesterday, looked at the screen for a minute, pressed a few buttons which got me nowhere, and then turned it off. I am angry that a device and programs that were once so easy to use have been turned into something so useless to me. Whatever happened to "ease of use"; "intuitive"; "easy to understand", etc. If the computers are so smart, why don't they just make it simple for anyone to use.

      Delete