Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, July 29, 2018

Changing my ways!

I have noticed that many of you whose blogs I read, have gone back from using a dishwasher to washing dishes by hand.  I try to be very careful of my electric usage and am seriously considering joining you.  My problem that I recall from the past, is that when I wash dishes by hand I end up letting them sit on the countertop to dry, and then when I need something I take it out of the rack, leaving the rest of the dishes there until I need something else.  In other words, I always have a cluttered countertop.   I'd like to know how you manage that:  do you let them air dry, or dry them by hand and put them away.

Another usage of electric that I wonder about is my washing machine.  I don't have a dryer, so I wash the load at home and carry it across the street to the Park's laundry center, where I use their dryers.  It usually costs me 75 cents to dry an oversize load.  I used to put most of it in the dryer for 10 minutes to remove wrinkles (25 cents) and then dry everything on the clothesline in the courtyard of the laundry building.  Since the planes are spraying whatever they are spraying every day, everywhere, I no longer use the clothesline.

To cut my electric use I also unplug things such as floor lamps, computer, etc. at night when I go to bed as they say the electric use doesn't drop to zero as long as the item is plugged in. 

I would love to hear of any utility cost saving tips you may have.  As costs are continually rising it makes sense to reduce our usage when we can.

Jeannie and family took me to Costco yesterday afternoon to return the computer and backup device; I have several things I need from Costco, but instead, Donald bought a big pizza from Costco's food service which we took to our favorite local craft brewery to go with the beer.    We had maps of the southwest and went over the possible routes to the dog breeder in Arizona in the event I decide to get a puppy after my surgery.  This trip is growing a little at a time - now we are thinking about taking the cutoff to visit the South Rim of the Grand Canyon on the way.  

I will probably go back to Costco this afternoon to get the things on my list.

I'm still undecided about the puppy, or puppy vs. older dog.  I am looking ahead to the possibility that I might need to train (or have a trainer) work with a young dog to be an assistance dog (or god forbid, a seeing-eye dog).  I haven't made a decision yet but am examining possibilities.  I would never get another puppy if I went out a lot and had to leave it at home alone, as I did when I was still working and got my first black lab, Smoky.  But I don't go out often that I couldn't take the dog, and I have the convenience of walking across the street to the dog park should I need to.   Many establishments here allow people to bring their dogs, although common sense dictates that they need to be well trained and well behaved, and there are some places I just wouldn't take a dog.

It gives me something to think about and to argue the pros and cons in my head.  My health has been so unsteady for the past few years I just wanted to be alone, but I didn't exactly feel lonely.  Now I'm improving at a rate where I realize I am lonely, and I am going to do something about it .   Since I'm not driving it means I am mostly at home, and I'm not really a "joiner" anyway.   So having another living, breathing creature to look after seems like a grand idea!

Enjoy the last day of the weekend, and I may try to post again before surgery, but if I don't I want to thank all who send good thoughts my way.

17 comments:

  1. I dry and put away my dishes. No room in a rv for them to sit on the counter. If you get a puppy will you create train him? Because puppies chew so you'd have to be careful whenever you went to the store. A little older (year maybe) might be easier to deal with. I must have missed a post about getting the mutt in AZ. Where in AZ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willcox, AZ. I guess I can relate it in some ways to human babies. I loved all my kids throughout their various stages and ages, and still do. But I cherish the few weeks of their infant stage and up to where they started doing things on their own. That stage doesn't last long but the memories are forever. I almost feel the same way about a puppy. I realize I will have to dog-proof my house and it won't always work, but I never could kid-proof my house either. But that sweet, clumsy, inquisitive baby stage is something you can never forget. There is nothing in my house that is reachable by a puppy that I worry about, although I'd hate to deal with it.

      Delete
    2. Be sure to go to Apple Annie's when you're there. I too love babies and puppies but I know I couldn't deal with them all day and all night. But they are soooooo cute.

      Delete
    3. Is Apple Annie's in Willcox? I may be over estimating my ability to tolerate puppy behavior! I've always had a good sense of humor, at least before the past few years when I wasn't feeling well.

      Delete
    4. Yes it's in Willcox. Apple pie and apple butter etc.

      Delete
  2. Good grief. Got so excited about the puppy I forgot to tell you I'll be sending nothing but positive happy thoughts on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I know you wish me positive happy thoughts even if you don't say it in so many words! I truly appreciate you.

      Delete
  3. I have always washed by hand. Had a dishwasher once and just didn't like it. Usually I put the dishes to air dry on a towel on the counter and before I go to bed I put them away and any that need a little final drying get it. Sending you lots of positive thoughts and strong energy for your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember washing by hand when I lived in an RV. I was happy to get a dishwasher when I moved into a more permanent setting. The best part about the dishwasher is getting a cup or glass, or other item out of sight until you can wash several items. Thanks for the thoughts, and I'm sure my eyes will be a lot better in a few weeks.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you thought about what would happen to the puppy if you are not able to look after it any longer? If you have a large hot water tank it would take lots of electricity. I have always done my dishes by hand. Getting my water ready as I start cooking and letting them drp dry on a rack. When dry they go in the cupboard. My counteris cluttered with lots of machines etc. So a.bit more does not bother me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would ask myself the same question no matter how young or old I was - what would I do with the puppy? My sister and I have made sort of an informal agreement to watch the other's dog in case anything happened. She might not remember that though! I'm going to try doing dishes when I have a small load but don't want them sitting around. If I can fill the dishwasher then I will wash them that way. My countertop isn't very spacious and I never have much room available.

      Delete
  6. As you know my dishwasher broke last week. I only ran it once a week sometimes a week n a half. I decided not to fix it at this time and started hand washing them and putting them on a drying mat. Depending on what I'm doing I may let them air dry or I just dry them and put them away.

    Wishing your surgery goes well and your sight will be improved. Speedy recover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely going to try doing without the dishwasher all the time, but maybe I'll start after my eyes have cleared up enough to see what I'm doing!

      Thanks for the good wishes and I'm hoping for the best outcome.

      Delete
  7. I wash my dishes by hand. After I finish washing them I place the bigger and heavier items such as pots and pans inside the stove to dry out of sight.

    I am sending my best vibes and positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My, I didn't realize so many folks don't use the dishwasher. It's amazing how we seem to be going back to the "old days" before everyone had all the latest appliances, while so many are hooked into using technology to the fullest extent they can.

      Delete
  8. We didn't want a dishwasher in the house. There was one in the apartment what we never used. Don't want one in our trailer.
    Lamps don't use electric power when turned off but Electronics such as radios, televisions, clocks and cordless phones do.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete